The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Qantas dispute - part of a major workplace upheaval > Comments

Qantas dispute - part of a major workplace upheaval : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 31/10/2011

Abbott can't just wait for Labor to fail on IR - he must have an alternative strategy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Is JohnBennetts alleging a breach of section 7 of the Qantas Sale Act 1992? If so please contact the relevant Minister as they have power to injunct. ;))

I would have thought Qantas' legal team was pretty familiar with section 7 JB.
Posted by bitey, Monday, 31 October 2011 12:50:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Qantas action has achieved nothing. Negotiations are still to happen and be resolved in 21 days, or else FWA will resolve it for them.
Posted by 579, Monday, 31 October 2011 1:08:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
579, true, but the unions are snookered and have lost their fight.

Paddy may well re-Joyce in his gold dust afterwards, but he has a lot of re-building to do.

If I'd been dumped in London or worse expecting to catch a plane and some dingbat had run, eyes streaming, to the government asking to be saved from the TWU, I'd be wondering about his lack of negotiation skills and his suitability for the job.

Since I no longer ever fly with Australia's new Asian airline anyway, so it's all academic, but if I was still a Q flyer on last Saturday, I would not be any longer.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 31 October 2011 1:19:37 PM
JOYCE is “Chainsaw” AL DUNLAP revisited.

The public's knows that Qantas has moved from the highest safety record in the history of passenger aviation to an airline whose golden philosophy is in jeopardy via the corporate level.

Alan Joyce is simply anoter "Chainsaw" Al Dunlap, brought in to "cut the fat". However, this time, the intention is far less respectable. Alan Joyce is a case of a man whose salary alone would save the airline, if it was distributed amongst the corporation. It is how an exponent of l'aissez faire liberalism expects to win hands down through the aid of economic brutality. The Senator for NSW, Doug Cameron is right to point out the difference between "Wall Street salaries and Bangladeshi wages."

The action of grounding all aircraft was Joyce's only answer to the process of industrial action because his imagination tells him that he is employed to beat the unions. If he wins, the future of this brand is no longer Australian - whether in national ownership, or in the industrial equilibrium which unionism has actualised in this country more than any other in the world except perhaps Britain.

Joyce's stunt was aimed at bringing the Federal Government into the arena. For my money, the outcome was cowardly. Gillard and Swann should be going for Joyce with the spears and arrows of a Labor government.

Bringing the Fair Work commission into the debate should not exclude a solution which ensures Australian employment, Australian working conditions and Australian ownership will continue where-ever Qantas operates the world over.

Readers who do not understand the role which unionism has played in the development of our Australian way of life are due for an education. The views of liberalism are essential to our plurality when, say the NSW Labor Government, the Left starts to go wrong. But those people who believe that we should all be okay about foreign workers having our jobs - especially so that we are forced to consider something the same - are fanatics, pure and simple.

Bruce Quilty, MA(Aust Hist)
BLUE MOUNTAINS
Posted by SecedeFromTheStates, Monday, 31 October 2011 1:27:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fac t of the matter is these baggage handlers, who are on as much as $85 grand a year are plain and simply, over paid. End of story!

Now had they thought this trough they would have realized that when they were being paid as much, if not more than our police, that they were on a good thing.

As I say, if you keep punishing the risk takers, they will eventually stop taking risks.
B
Lessons in life are often hard learned ones, despite all th advice and warnings from those in the know, those who create the jobs, that these and many others treat like it's thier given right o not only have a job, but to be over paid for the unskilled work they perform.

Sadly, this is just the beginning as many other risk takers have also had a gut full of these union thugs.

Interesting times ahead.

Now as for TA and his IR policies, call an election and we will soon know his policies.

I dare them to do that!
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 31 October 2011 2:14:39 PM
SFTS "But those people who believe that we should all be okay about foreign workers having our jobs - especially so that we are forced to consider something the same - are fanatics, pure and simple."

Huh .. so we want to let in anyone who comes on a boat (or plane as a refugee or migrant), regardless of their origin, we have to share our bounty with the world to compensate for the guilt of progress through the Carbon Tax, we will quadruple or foreign aid aside of Carbon Tax giveaway to buy "indulgences" so Rudd can play on the world stage .. but we don't want others to have jobs? We spray money around like we're drunken sailors on a night out

How do you figure fanatics fit into this? (fanatically stupid?)

We either empower entrepreneurs here to run our businesses and stop kneecapping them whenever they do turn a buck, or we just shut up shop and no longer have a tax base. Because it seems everyone thinks businesses are a magic pudding that you can endlessly tax for whatever fool purpose you can think of.

The unions are starting to have greed competitions, with no word of productivity and will bully companies to death.

Negotiate with them? Qantas are in this position because the unions have demanded they fold, and will not negotiate at all .. you can't negotiate when only one side is playing.

I'm sure all the ALP voters are happy, beating up businesses, and empowering every form of parasite we have, nation building stuff eh?

We're an international laughing stock, not because of what Qantas has done, but because we are as many people suspect, little minded people supporting greedy union bullies.
Posted by rpg, Monday, 31 October 2011 2:47:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy