The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The boot on Australia’s windpipe > Comments

The boot on Australia’s windpipe : Comments

By Dick Davies, published 1/11/2011

As people come on board and risk getting involved and trusting those they work with, the quality of life for everyone increases and the quality of the collective output increases exponentially.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Wize words Lao Zi!
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 9:14:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great article,
The last paragraph sums it up beautifully.
The other day I bumped into an acquaintance of mine at the building supply yard, an old Italian concreter, I asked him how he was going.
"Work,work,work, in this country it's all you can do, if you don't..." he shrugged his shoulders and let the thought hang.
It's not uncommon for migrants to point out the fact that there's no "Good Life" in this country, my old boss, a Spaniard used to say, "This is worse than Franco! At least then we had the life and the culture!"
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 10:23:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"This is worse than Franco! At least then we had the life and the culture!"
Jay of Melbourne,
that is about the most accurate description of the situation I have heard.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 8:40:15 PM
I think OLO viewers are owed an explanation here, GrahamY.

Yesterday, when this article was published the author was shown as Lao Zi, complete with bio abstract identifying him as an exceptionally long-lived Chinese philosopher. The first post to the article comments by michael_in_adelaide, on Tuesday, 1 November 2011 at 9:14:54 AM testifies to this, with the poster addressing the author as Lao Zi. see: http://twitpic.com/79jqp7 . I for one thought that a new era of nom-de-plume publishing (of quality articles only, of course) had dawned on OLO.

Betrayed!

The author is now shown as one Dick Davies, with a different bio. See: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/author.asp?id=5581

What is going on? Yesterday was 1 November, not 1 April! Surely none of the politically-correct readership complained of the homonymic of Lao Zi used by michael_in_adelaide as having constituted abuse of an author? As we can now see, the article was not lousy at all.

What hope for the future, with things changing before our very eyes like this? Illustrative of the ephemerality and manipulability of Web 2 interaction, though.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 9:06:02 AM
Sorry Forrest. We email out to authors when the articles go up. This one was misattributed, but we didn't have that pointed out by the author immediately, so it took me some time to catch-up with the fact. When I did I changed the author to the person it should have been.

Zi will be posting next week.
Posted by GrahamY, Thursday, 3 November 2011 2:43:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy