The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > ‘Pull the Pin’ on children’s beauty pageants > Comments

‘Pull the Pin’ on children’s beauty pageants : Comments

By Catherine Manning, published 23/8/2011

The beauty myth and children: making beauty a sexualised competition is unhealthy for children and society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
Well Poirot, your opinion, like mine, is neither here nor there. I'm sure there are many parents that think I am warping my daughters, but they just have a different value system to me.

I'm really into moral relativism. When I'm not a Nihilist that is.

I don't know these women and their daughters, and I am in no position to judge. I just know what's right for me and my daughers.

What is 'psychologically healthy' is not something I want governments making judgment calls on. What's to say someone wont decide your Laissez-faire attitude to education isn't next in the firing line by some do-gooder with a political objection, armed with some hand picked phsycologist theory.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 10:57:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellie,

I'm sorry if I implied that you were warping your daughters.....wasn't my intention. I certainly realise you have their best interests at heart. My reflection on what was being warped was the psychological effect of emulation and competition.

I suppose my main query rests on the young age of the girls that compete in these beauty pageants. Most children learn in the normal process of life unfolding how their physical appearance is received by others - and they adjust their opinion of their looks accordingly. Regularly experiencing a "formal judgment" on their presentation would certainly require the child to alter perspective regarding their system of self-value.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:02:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy