The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > High-density housing reflects dense government thinking > Comments

High-density housing reflects dense government thinking : Comments

By Tony Recsei, published 23/8/2011

Health, environment and infrastructure impacts of high-density housing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ok, I'll bite.

"The issue we have is with the enforced imposition of high density housing upon the bulk of Australians that don’t want it."

Who is behind this "enforced imposition"? The article doesn't make this clear, but simply charges on as if it is a given.

"The premise behind this government totalitarianism..."

Totalitarianism? Really? Are we not exaggerating, just the teensiest bit?

Right down to the conclusion, where it is reiterated:

>>What we object to, is having draconian high density policies based on demonstrably faulty premises forced upon the 83 per cent of people that Australian research shows prefer to live in a free-standing home.<<

Once more - who is doing the "forcing"? I don't know what happens in Victoria, but here we have a local Council that is required to give their approval to any building developments. Where there is sufficient reason to believe they are not doing their job, the State government gets involved. At every step of the way there is community consultation, and while some folks may still be unhappy at the end of the process, it is about as democratic as it is possible to make these things.

So, come clean. Where are the "draconian high density policies" that the article makes such a noise about, but fails to illustrate?

Without them, the article is nothing more than empty polemic.

No wonder the immediate response was: "NIMBY alert!"
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 23 August 2011 4:04:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know where Pericles lives, but the NSW State Government has enforced a policy of urban consolidation upon councils, the practical effect of this policy has meant requiring high density regardless of what the people living in that area want.

You can google "nsw state government urban consolidation" if you want more information.
Posted by webd, Tuesday, 23 August 2011 4:19:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I regard both the push for ever-expanding suburbs and the one for urban consolidation as equally stupid in Australia. I have done a long post on Melbourne planning <a href= http://melbourneurbanist.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/what-should-we-do-about-melbourne/ >here</a>. That site has lots for really thoughtful and detailed discussions on planning issues, the sort you don’t get in the daily press.
Posted by Chris C, Tuesday, 23 August 2011 4:29:51 PM
I live in NSW, webd.

>>I don't know where Pericles lives, but the NSW State Government has enforced a policy of urban consolidation upon councils, the practical effect of this policy has meant requiring high density regardless of what the people living in that area want.<<

Not happening.

In fact, the opposite is occurring, with the repeal in June this year of SEPP53

http://www.urbanalyst.com/in-the-news/new-south-wales/627-full-planning-powers-returned-to-ku-ring-gai-council.html

It is official, State Government policy: "The NSW Government has again affirmed its commitment to handing planning powers back to local councils"

http://www.nsw.liberal.org.au/tags/sepp-53

You were saying...?
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 23 August 2011 4:55:36 PM
That's great new Pericles! Given the damage these policies have done for many years under previous governments, I hope it is true.

Part of me wonders, however, when i read recent headlines like "High-rises could resurface in Ku-ring-gai's new plan".

And i also read comments by the new government that 'Targets are being re-assessed' and will be 'updated if necessary'.

See http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/highrises-could-resurface-in-kuringgais-new-plan-20110805-1ifdf.html (Aug 6th 2011)

So, whilst i hope you are right, i wonder...

(by the way, i don't live in Kuringgai so am no NIMBY, i live in a much more down-market outer region of Sydney)
Posted by webd, Tuesday, 23 August 2011 5:16:08 PM
Two half years ago I Iived in a highrise in the Sydney CBD. I went to work in a highrise at Circular Quay. My wife went to work in a highrise near Circular Quay. My son went to day care in a highrise near Wynyard.

The daily crush on the bus with a pre-schooler was overwhelming. The nearest play areas were Tumbalong Park at Darling Harbour and Victoria Park on City Road.

Too many people, way way way too many people.

Now I have a Queenslander in regional Australia for half the price of a CBD dog kennel with enough yard for a trampoline, a dog, fruit trees, a game of footy, vege plots, a game of cricket, flowers and trees, a game of tennis and fresh air.

Swapped the GoGet care share for a gas guzzling falcon. I walk my son to school and home again and my wife rides her bike to work. In between I renovate, do some gardening, walk the dog, go for a ride to the pool and work over the net.

Feeling that I have earned this after working hard for years, the only left for me to do is tattoo NIMBY across my forehead if 'urban consolidation' or any other violation decides to visit.
Posted by Neutral, Tuesday, 23 August 2011 5:26:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy