The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's moral compass: child refugees > Comments

Australia's moral compass: child refugees : Comments

By Paul McDonald, published 18/8/2011

By sending child refugees to Malaysian refugee camps, is the Australia government breaching its responsibility to protect and care?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
This government has no moral compass.

It is an absolute disgrace for them to involve us as a nation in the trading of people. Full Stop.

It is shifting our problem onto another less scruppled regime. It will do nothing for discouraging people from placing their lives and their childrens lives in the hands of smugglers with their dangerously unseaworthy boats and inexperienced crews.

We should simply return to the Pacific Solution even if we ramp up the number of refugees allowed to enter Australia.

As for the unaccompanied children. There is one simple way to discourage the practise of sending them.

Deny the option of family reunions but supply an additional option of a one way ticket home.
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 18 August 2011 4:03:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This must be one of the easiest 'moral' issues ever.

If you find a child in a shopping centre, what do you do? Bugger me, you put out a PA and find the parents. You put the child back in the arms of the parents - which is where the child should have been the whole time.

Let's stop anguishing about something so simple.
Posted by MrGumby, Thursday, 18 August 2011 11:36:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So we have gathered, according to people against sending them to Malaysia, that if an unaccompanied minor arrives in our custody, it is our obligation to adopt them to an Australian carer while they are being processed.
So therefore;
1- if they are accepted, do they become legally adopted by the foster family?
2- what happens if the parents show up and they fall short of the criteria, are mentally unstable, dangerous, religious fanatics etc?
Do we bar them entry (thus dividing the child from their biological parents, but retaining our right to personal safety)- or provide the child with the option to rejoin their parents in deportation (of course, if they refuse, they may grow up resentful).

For that matter- what if the children themselves show symptoms of antisocial behaviour, religious fanaticism, low moral development, etc?

A lot of considerations that are being overlooked in this issue.
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 19 August 2011 1:18:38 AM
Paul,
I go along with Hasbeen, you'd be far better qualified to comment were you to spend time & money (yours, not mine) at the departure places whence these children are being sent from.
Academic idealism is simply ineffective in a real life situation. If you
re really concerned about the welfare of those people & their children you should go to their villages & help them help themselves. I can almost guarantee that that's not what they want. They don't want a better life, they're following orders to ruin the West. Or do you believe that running away from a system that's no good but still bring that system here & try to enforce it it is looking for a better life ? Better have another glass of warm wine mate.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 20 August 2011 10:15:52 AM
i never thought i would hear both christians & loony left bleeding hearts advocating the break up of families, the neglect & abuse of children.

clearly the most moral, humane thing to do is to return these children immediately to where ever they came from so they can be re united with their mother.

Shame on all of you for even daring to suggest anything else.
Posted by Formersnag, Saturday, 20 August 2011 11:28:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy