The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Dutch Disease has infected the Australian economy > Comments

The Dutch Disease has infected the Australian economy : Comments

By John Töns, published 17/8/2011

How strong would our economy be without mining? The Australian government needs to remember that with every boom, there comes a slump.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
The biggest proviso would be that I wouldn't be relying on Abbot to turn things around.
Neutral,
What do you propose ? Bring back Kevin ? The only way to get us back on track is to reduce the Public Service wage & introduce a non-military national Service & move gradually towards a flat tax. The riots around the world are a clear indication that inequality is the root of all the uprising. A flat tax would remove inequality in one single stroke. It also wold encourage people to get up & go rather than what we have now. The hierarchy doesn't understand that people simply get tired of working for next to nothing while those who do nothing get the handsome rewards. Just look at the Public Service.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 18 August 2011 6:45:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What an excellent piece. It begs a few questions though, such as how a politician can get elected without promising lots of handouts to the preferati; how an elector can make a meaningful vote in an era in which the parties are essentially indistinguishable on genuine issues and elections are fought on sideshow matters that have little relevance to the things that will happen when Parliament sits; how a politician can make the tough decisions when their seat is dependent not just on convincing the electorate, but on doing what the Party line demands.

What the Party line demands, increasingly, is that decisions must come with a quid pro quo for the Party. Thus, the BER program had to be done by a few large firms because these firms will assuredly help to fill the ALP coffers before the next election. A lot of small firms would be much less likely to do so. Ditto for the NBN, which has no genuine reason for existence but will provide some "jobs for the boys" and some funding for the Party. Of course this was dressed up as "efficiency", but we all know the real reason.

Furthermore, in today's environment it is large corporates that pay essentially all the net tax. Individual income tax is more than consumed in redistribution to individuals and the administration of that redistribution (about $155 billion collected and about $165 billion spent). Very many people on good incomes pay essentially no income tax at all. On top of that are the large sums spent on the various social engineering programs so beloved of the Left. Someone has to pay and that someone is the large corporations.

Welcome to the wonderful world created by "lobbyists". It's amazing what rubbish is supported by government solely because of the squeaky-wheel lobbying of a couple of well-placed whingers and it's all because we have lots of money rolling in with no real connection to the productivity of the nation as a whole.

My advice, "privatise the profits" and be prepared to leave.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 18 August 2011 7:11:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual, I made no such proposal so do not presume to imply one.

My position should be clear enough. Abbott is no different to any other professonal politician where election cycle myopia blinds them to a long term vision for Australia.

Your advocacy for a form of national service has merit.

That the public service is forever expanding is nothing new. Labor are merely continuing the Howard tradition. Of course there is some obvious low hanging fruit that could be plucked without too much trouble.

The once independant public service was politicised under Howard and is now used a weapon by Labor. I doubt any party has the collective acumen to make significant and meaningful change without increasing the current dysfunction of the political duopoly. It would take a kryptonite proof and tungsten coated business person from the real world to whip it into shape.

Tax reform is essential. However again, both parties either have missed their opportunities and/or are ignoring the recommendations of official reviews.

At least you have some ideas individual. I wouldn't rely on a partisian position though, as both major parties are in decline.

If the Liberals would not ignore the recent review undertaken by Peter Reith into the 2007 election loss and implement the more imperative recommendations they perhaps could regain relevancy.

However just like Labor I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any political professional to ameliorate anything that may threaten a personal silo or vested interest
Posted by Neutral, Thursday, 18 August 2011 8:33:29 AM
I find myself agreeing to most of the posts here to my amazement.
One thing that I would advocate is a tax on the export of gas.
Our oil is rapidly running out and gas is the logical replacement as a transport fuel.
If we continue to export it in huge quantities it will eventually become scarce even though we have a large amount at the moment.
I really think that the oil and gas industries should be nationalized but there would be no chance in the present political climate.
Posted by sarnian, Thursday, 18 August 2011 9:22:30 AM
Come on sarnian, why would you want to convert the oil & gas industries into loss making catastrophes, from the profitable business they are today.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 18 August 2011 11:06:26 AM
*One thing that I would advocate is a tax on the export of gas.*

They are already taxed. As most of the gas is offshore, money goes
straight to the Fed. Govt. This goes all the way back to the Hawke
Govt

*I really think that the oil and gas industries should be nationalized but there would be no chance in the present political climate.*

As if the Govt could run an oil and gas industry, when they can't
get installing pink batts right. So you'd risk 25- 50 million $
of taxpayers money per hole, to find gas? Hardly a clever way to
spend Govt money, given their poor record of running a business.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 18 August 2011 11:44:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All