The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Locking the nanny state in > Comments

Locking the nanny state in : Comments

By Brant Rippon and Andrew Laming, published 8/8/2011

Should the man who can legally break into your house have to pay licence fees to be able to do so?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Unrelated to the locksmith issue, but indicative of the inanities of the nanny state imposed on SA by 10 years of Labor, was my experience at the weekend when I took an overseas visitor to tour Martindale Hall. The nanny state has decreed we are no longer allowed to see the magnificent cellar as it has only one exit and is hence an unacceptable fire risk.

Does any one know of a cellar with 2 exits, or know of anyone who has been injured, let alone killed, in consequence of a fire while they were in a cellar?

While our taxes are wasted on a bevy of highly-paid bureaucrats to dream up and enforce such nonsense, it has been estimated that thousands of people die each year as a result of preventable hospital errors (eg The Age 8 March 2011).
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Monday, 8 August 2011 8:13:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A bit like having to be accredited to place orange cones on roadways. There's a one day course involved (even if you can use a tape measure and a two way radio already)
Posted by renew, Monday, 8 August 2011 9:47:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Loveday & Renew,
Don't worry, W.A. is ruled by "Nannyism" also.
The trouble is that extreme nannyism takes away peoples' natural instincts, ergo, check behind the car to see if there are no kids or kids toys, and a million other 'care stripping' things. Just because you have a pool fence, doesn't mean you don't have to keep watching the kids My sincere sympathy to all out there who have experienced the loss of a child as a result of the above. It is Nannyism and stupid Political correctness which is bringing parts of this great country down.
My Husband has an aquaintance who is a public servant, he said that if a man has to talk to a female public servant,at work, he is not allowed to cross his arms in front of him as that is deemed to be a 'threatening pose'....what is this world coming to I ask? I am with you Loveday, if we went back to basics, did away with tax payer funded public servants, we all would be wealthier, and life would go back to normal, if we can remember what normal is. Oh! boy, you have really exposed one of my pet hates.
Cheers
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Monday, 8 August 2011 11:59:58 AM
• have you noticed that its only the privileged who regularly complain about a nanny state?
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 8 August 2011 12:45:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have you noticed that it's only the incompetent who demand one?
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 8 August 2011 1:05:51 PM
..and those who pretend not to have benefitted from one.
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 8 August 2011 1:12:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
or else support & believe that heavy-handed government intervention to redistribute wealth upward = a free market. Puleeze!
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 8 August 2011 1:21:51 PM
Rainier,
What is the connection between the privileged and wealthy being anti nanny state.....sorry but I don't quite get your drift.
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Monday, 8 August 2011 5:42:35 PM
Let us never forget Aesop, an observer of Man and Beast.

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to office”

He said six centuries before Christ.

We have yet to learn that the Vote, the Power that belonged to the King, is now ours.

We must choose administrators (Ministers) like the Kings did.

Employ them at a salary fixed by us and for the time of our choosing.

Away with Politicians, away with charlatans, away with thieves, away with jailers, away with war mongers!

No more State secrets.

Democracy is open business, open for all to check.

Sorry chaps, no more keys!
Posted by skeptic, Monday, 8 August 2011 7:43:37 PM
Hi Rainier,

How are you?

Sorry I've got to disagree. I'm alive, still, feel very privilaged and never ever complain (any more anyway). Health care (in the cities) is fantastic.

I don't pretend; I've benefited; my kids might disagree.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 8 August 2011 7:48:05 PM
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by TheMissus, Monday, 8 August 2011 9:11:48 PM
The argument of the 'nanny state' is the I don't have any better arguments argument.
The state which developed in the western world from 1945 to 1978 was based on social democracy. The age of insecurity of the interwar period was ended with the decline in the inequality of people living within the social democratic state.
After all what is so bad about public education? Or public health care? or the welfare payments of unemployment when the economy goes into recession?
These things are all better than petty assistance in the form of donations to charities.
We are entering a new age of insecurity with inequality ever increasing, thus making the cost of living ever higher for the great majority. We must salvage what we can from the memory of social democracy.
http://bit.ly/ipVbk8
Posted by liberalcynic2, Wednesday, 10 August 2011 12:41:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy