The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > From Madoff to Murdoch: the demise of the work ethic > Comments

From Madoff to Murdoch: the demise of the work ethic : Comments

By Sam Vaknin, published 27/7/2011

Whatever happened to the work ethic? Where is the pride in the immaculate quality of one's labor and produce?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
While I can appreciate the reasons for Mr Vaknin's lengthy piece on why everything is going wrong, most of tbhe examples he cites are dubious. In others it is difficult to see what his concern is.
This rant.
"The populace in developed countries are addicted to leisure time. Most people regard their jobs as a necessary evil, best avoided whenever possible. Hence phenomena like the permanent temp - employees who prefer a succession of temporary assignments to holding a proper job."

This has always been the case. The trend is for people to have more choice in their jobs, and so more likely to find a job that they want to do, but they are also becoming more aware of life outside their job. So what does that add up to? I have no idea, but if a majority still regard their jobs as something to get through that is unfortunate, not shattering.

What is the writer's problem with temps? A lot of people like moving around, and it adds to economic efficiency... and I thought I was a grump.

There is a lot more I can say, but maybe I've wasted enough time on this writer already
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 11:42:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
most of us are slaves to boring stifling work, a few lucky ones have a career that fulfills and satisfies instead of making another kind of slave out of us; a blessed few have a higher calling - a 'vocation', be it in law, religion, writing. But there is no honour in a life of indolence and luxury: we were made to be of service to each other as stewards of God's creation, and it's far better to wear out than rust out. Beach and surf culture are for the brain and soul dead.
Posted by SHRODE, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 2:16:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who is Sam Vankin

He seems to have a negative view of western societies

I suggest he is not ready for the truth that

What is happening today has always happened

Before Maddoff there was Ponzi

Before Murdoch there were others called to account for the conduct of the businesses they owned and the actions of their subordinates

Which is the good thing about capitalism, government call people to account. When all is owned by government, there is no accounting by government.

Work ethic is a self perception and certainly the contemporary notion of contract-to-contract is newer than the stuck-in-a-rut, job for life product of the previous work model.

As someone who has made a conscious choice to work contract-to-contract I do not think it is up to Sam to criticize the manner in which I “trade my skills” and nor is it his right to suggest other peoples work ethic is inferior because of it….. or maybe he is simply projecting his own pretense to “work ethic”

I suggest he return to write more about his first love

“Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited”

Then at least one person will read it… because, as sure as eggs is eggs, I will not bother
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 28 July 2011 11:44:38 AM
I think the author has rose-coloured glasses. People work in the jobs they do for many different reasons.

1.Some because they have to pay a mortgage, loans, buy food etc
2.Some because they have an ideological wish work in their area
3.Some because they genuinely enjoy what they do
4.Some because it simply suits their chosen lifestyle

Personally it's probably a combination of 1 & 4. My hobbies and family are far more important than my job - but it's a necessity. I accept that and I belive that I produce quality work.

Perhaps the author doesn't like the fact that people don't all enjoy their work...well, the reality is that it's fantasy to think that most people will be able to get jobs they enjoy. Satisfaction in a job is not the same as enjoying it.

There are too many eroneous points in the article to address individually, however what I can say is that the author does not seem to have a grasp of human nature or an empathy with the population as a whole. I'm not sure what planet he's on.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Thursday, 28 July 2011 5:56:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy