The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Youth voters seek refuge in the Australian Greens > Comments

Youth voters seek refuge in the Australian Greens : Comments

By Kristian Hollins, published 21/7/2011

Now more than ever before, young voters are questioning the information they’re presented, and happy to call ‘bullshit’ when they find it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I thnk I may possibly have been a little tipsy last night.

I'm sure I was looking at the Guardian...

I don't disgree with Col on the social justice issue. The growth in Australia's redistributive spending from 30% to 45% (and that's without the maternal leave scheme) of revenue in just 20 years is a good indication of the way in which such issues become political vote-buyers rather than genuinely striving to overcome structural disadvantage.

When we have such lacklustre politicians at every side, it's only to be expected that the next election will see still more such spending and what's worse the voters, many of whom have effectively become dependent on their welfare handouts despite being in work, will fall for it.

It's one of the aspects of Green politics that most disturbs me and one of the reasons I characterise them as a party of people who've never had to pay their own way. If they had, they'd understand that spending your capital on lifestyle is a sure way to end up poverty-stricken. Unless, of course, you know that someone else is going to pay your way.

America is discovering now that spending too much Government revenue on Defence is another way of doing the same thing. China will have to pay America's way: are we expecting them to pay ours too?
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 24 July 2011 7:49:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have a look at this:
http://vidcall.com/index.php/videos/show/2090/#chooseVidcallMailWin-coming-soon
Posted by Philo, Sunday, 24 July 2011 9:47:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am well familiar with UKDT

Thanks for the specific article, Antiseptic

If you care to look in the Delingpole and Hannan blogs in the Daily Telegraph you will see Col Rouge pop up frequently… I had seen this blog tag but had not, to date, read it.

I can understand the sentiment but with capitalism you have to remember, everyone is free to strut their stuff. Some will fail and other succeed..

Under collectivism, the notion of success is sneered at as it imperils “equality”

Equality has never seemed much of a goal to me. if you want to accept that from the very genes which direct our ability as well as our height, some will grow tall whilst others are dwarfs.

Yet, politically, the left insist that since we cannot all be tall, we must all be leveled and limited to becoming no more than dwarfs.

That is why I hold the left and the leveling greens in complete contempt because, to ensure “equality” they would see individual “opportunity” to succeed abandoned because it will produce inequality.

Regarding the left ever being right (in a correct sense) the problem with the left is this

Whilst the resources of news and production remain in private or corporate (private by way of shares) hands, government can always regulate those private / corporate operators.

When assets are owned and controlled by government, government faces a moral dilemma between operating versus regulatory imperatives eg using excessive profits of a public monopoly

Antiseptic, concerning the greatest capitalist country…. It reminds me of something Robert Stigwood said many years ago

To be successful one requires two things

PMA and OPM

Positive Mental Attitude

and

Other People’s Money

Stigwood was a pretty successful individual…

I would suggest, the capacity of USA for inventive ingenuity is what will underpin their future success, regardless whose money they use to finance it.

Morganzola.. you are too boring to bother responding too

You dare criticize me for supposed dishonesty, whilst actively supporting the greatest CON of the last 100 years… CAGW…

Your actions disqualify you from judging anyone’s honest
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 24 July 2011 10:00:52 PM
Individual,

Sorry for the delay, I've been away working. I first earned money working back in 1955, then after school in Wagga and Darwin, then in the public service, then teaching, then ten years in factories and on farms, including four years at an Aboriginal community (while I tried to set up a voluntary vegetable garden), five or six years of holiday fruit-picking, then twenty-odd years at universities. My last paying job was working in a dairy in an Aboriginal community, me and my late brother-in-law, a couple of middle-aged graduates, while the young guys slept on, down in the village. Self-determination and personal autnonomy have positives for some. On my 61st, I planted 61 trees around the dairy, and over four months, probably a thousand or so others.

But apart from that, you might have a point, none of it was particularly hard.

But as many young people might say, Col,

'Look, you might have earned all that and amassed assets, but let's face it, you aren't going to last much longer, so why not give your wealth all to young people who need it desperately now - they could make use of it for far longer.

'And that's one reason why we support voluntary (and otherwise) euthanasia, especially for those in terrible pain and who can't expresss their own wishes clearly - their pain distresses us immensely. I'm sure they would be happy to see their assets being used by young people here and now, instead of having to wait until the oldies die naturally.'

Just stirring the possum, Col :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 26 July 2011 5:03:53 PM
That's a keeper, Col.

>>You dare criticize me...<<

Says it all, really.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 8:19:26 AM
Fortunately, most young people mature as they experience the reality of the world, so the Greens' support base is unlikely to be maintained as the current crop of young Green voters get older. In my own case, I voted for Whitlam in 1972 and again in 1974 when I was young and naive but three years of Labor government was enough to make me see the error of my ways. Mind you, the Hawke/Keating years were mostly good for Australia and Australians, but that's another story.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 6:53:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy