The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is domestic violence a gender hate crime, and why does it matter? > Comments

Is domestic violence a gender hate crime, and why does it matter? : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 5/7/2011

Guidelines issues by the Gillard government make it impossible for women to commit domestic violence - by definition.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All
I should have said that training in negotiation might help to prevent some escalation in domestic situations. Perhaps something could be made available to older teens through schools. there seems to be room for all sorts of frivolous stuff, so why not something genuiely useful as a life skill taught as a formal topic?
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 16 July 2011 10:14:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic
Well I found it interesting that a part of social science in Australia acknowledges that there can be abuse from a mother to her children.

Meanwhile, most of the rest of social science does not acknowledge abuse from a woman to a man.

Nor does social science seem to acknowledge that fathers are parents or should play a part in children's lives, after accepting a policy that says “women and their children” 52 times within the policy,

Stating "women and their children" 52 times in a policy is an attempt to marginalise and alienate fathers and men.

This comes from the QLD governments DV site: -

“How Do You Know If Your Relationship Is Healthy or Abusive...

Whether you are a young person or an older person, it's important to evaluate whether your relationship continues to be safe and respectful.

A healthy relationship:
-involves two people who feel good about themselves and each other
-is a friendship - not just a physical relationship
-accepts the need for privacy on both sides
-acknowledges that not all experiences and interests need to be shared
-allows for differences of opinion
-does not make unrealistic demands on either partner
-allows for equal sharing of power and control
-is basically calm - not frantic
-should be fun and enjoyable. “

This is one of the reasons why I am not at all impressed by the negativity that feminists and university academics have towards the male gender.

It becomes impossible to have a healthy relationship if one party has nothing but a negative attitude towards the other party.

If anything, feminists and university academics are attempting to create divisions and conflict in society.
Posted by vanna, Saturday, 16 July 2011 10:35:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I put nursing and violence into google and this came up

https://www.birthinternational.com/articles/midwifery/69-horizontal-violence-in-the-workplace

<For example:

•Belittling gestures e.g. deliberate rolling of eyes, folding arms, staring into space when communication being attempted - Body language designed to discomfort the other
•Verbal abuse including name calling, threatening, intimidating, dismissing, belittling, undermining, humorous 'put downs'
•Gossiping (destructive, negative, nasty talk), talking behind the back, backbiting
•Sarcastic comments
•Fault finding (nitpicking) - different to those situations where professional and clinical development is required. >

Seems to have a big correlation with Erin Pizzeys "Emotional Terrorists".
Posted by JamesH, Monday, 18 July 2011 5:55:38 AM
James, that's a very good example of the ways in which expanding definitions leads to poor understanding of a problem. This is simply about the ways in which some people express their authority or lack therof, not about violence. I think that authoritarianism is very strong in the nursing profession. The matron who'll brook no argument from anyone is a standard model for emulation and a figure of awe to junior staff. In general, a nurse's training involves lots of instruction in "dealing with" patients who don't necessarily want to do as they're told.

One of my enduring memories is of a period in hospital following a motorcycle accident and a repair operation (which was incredibly successful, Dr John O'Connor take a bow). I received intramuscular Pethidine injections every few hours over about 5 days, until I made an attempt, in my semi-stupor, to stop a nurse giving me one, because they'd all been given in my right thigh and it was hurting a great deal. The response was to withdraw all painkilling medication until I was practically begging for something. This was continued across several shifts, so there had been a note appended to the file and when I was finally allowed some relief, I was given a couple of Panadol tablets, which were about as useful as some of Suze's advice.

I lost a great deal of respect for nurses on that day.

However, what that piece is about is bolstering the case for social workers, as is made clear by "Access to appropriate counseling services in the workplace is essential for staff involved in this issue. Information about these services should be displayed in an easily observed place."

Can anyone tell me what this "counselling" is expected to achieve?
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 18 July 2011 6:51:40 AM
For anyone who remains doubtful, a look through the papers in the bibliography section of the new national DV policy shows a certain name cropping up again and again, a Mr Michael Flood, a self-declared feminist, but not necessarily a humanist.

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/sa/women/progserv/violence/nationalplan/Pages/nat_plan_2010_bibliography.aspx

To me the policy is simply a kick in the teeth for the public, who will be paying out a lot of money to have a national policy based on bigotry, brainwashing and feminist theory.

If this policy is accepted, then it means that as a society, we have not evolved.
Posted by vanna, Monday, 18 July 2011 6:36:41 PM
You're giving young Mick a bit too much credit, vanna. However, one has to wonder at the Government preferring the stuff from the discredited WRD rabble, which refers to 3 source papers produced by Government Agencies, instead of the source documents themselves. It's not surprising, really, since the Personal Safety Survey shows very clearly that violence directed at men is far more serous a problem, while the WRD synopsis doen't mention men at all, which fits the prevailing prejudice within the Greens/Labor coalition of the shrilling.

His other great contribution is yet another review of other people's work, something that young Mick seems to do a great deal of, while not actually producing anything himself. Nice work if you can get it, I suppose, but not really my cup of tea. Perhaps when I'm in my dotage it might appeal, but as a vigorous man in my prime it seems rather like something my nan would do when she wasn't crocheting doilies.

I have to say I am a little surprised at the bibliography in general. It contains a very small selection of the enormous amount of material available, much of which is derivative and all of which is predicated on the Feminist ideological assumption that violence in the home is a gender hate crime.

As Jennifer Wilson points out in her article and has been clearly shown here time and again, the only "gender hatred" is coming through these discriminatory, prejudicial and worst of all, ineffective laws and policies.

We deserve better from our lawmakers
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 19 July 2011 7:29:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy