The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Facial recognition technology: Big brother's ultimate weapon against civil liberties > Comments

Facial recognition technology: Big brother's ultimate weapon against civil liberties : Comments

By Jo Coghlan, published 1/7/2011

In the land where the body can be encoded and recorded anonymity no longer exists.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
If you have misgivings about facial recognition technology, the weapons and communications technology now being used in Afghanistan will simply terrify you.

Communications by thought transfer without voice or machine, weapons activated by the mind ... to name two.

Roll up solar panels which still opetate in partial shade and with bullet holes.
Silent minature wind turbines.

We are a tad behind the times.
Posted by imajulianutter, Saturday, 2 July 2011 9:51:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As long as they hire appropriately IQ'd people using the systems.

Recent US domestic airport check in conversation between customer and staff.

Staff: May I have your ticket please sir?

Aussie: It's an eticket, here's my passport.

Staff: Sir, you cannot board this flight without producing a ticket.

Aussie: It's an eticket, my details on your system will match my passport details if you could check please.

Staff: Sir if you cannot produce a ticket you cannot board this flight!

Aussie: I have the email for the eticket on my laptop if that would help.

Staff: SIR YOU HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE! DO NOT OPEN THAT LAPTOP! SECURITY! SECURITY!

And a more recent conversation...

Staff: May I have your ticket please sir?

Aussie: It's an eticket, here's my passport.

Staff: Thankyou ....hey why aren't you a black man?

Aussie: Pardon? ...I'm white....

Staff: I can see that! Sheeesh! You know you should really stop armed robbery OK??

Aussie: Ok.

Staff: Michael Jackson didn't really look black either.

Maybe someone can come up with a theory that the smarter the software and systems, the dumber and cheaper the operator...
Posted by Neutral, Saturday, 2 July 2011 7:47:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Neutral

all you are showing is that some employees are redneck dumbo's.

Every employer has known that ... for years.
Posted by imajulianutter, Sunday, 3 July 2011 10:27:28 PM
@suzeonline: Jo, I would suggest that all your misgivings about the ever-improving technologies available to law-enforcement agencies these days, would fade away if you or someone close to you was severely injured, or worse, as a result of crime.

Maybe, if we could all be assured it was going to be used to assure your safety. Of course it won't be.

For example, the police initially loved the idea of automatic number plate recognition, right up until people started doing it from private cars and posted the position of every police vehicle on a web site.

So you love the idea of camera's in shops? What I once tested out a theory I had using those cameras. I put one camera on the toilet doors, and another on the sink. I though it might be able to tell which customers washed their hands after going to the loo - without their knowledge of course. It worked, but I was so taken aback by what I had achieved I stopped doing it.

In Japan they appear to have no such inhibitions. They blanket the store with camera, and monitor what displays you look at, how long you look at them, and whether you purchase. Which is all reflected in follow up advertising. So bought some cough syrup? Maybe they will suggest you wash your hands next time.

And its coming on a personal level too. They have been experimenting with cameras that record everything you see for some time now. But this is new - camera's that help you interpreting what other people are thinking:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128191.600-specs-that-see-right-through-you.html?DCMP=NLC-nletter&nsref=mg21128191.600

Still feeling safer because of all of those cameras are watching you, suzeonline?
Posted by rstuart, Tuesday, 5 July 2011 11:41:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy