The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Project Bantu: refugee youth finding their way through Capoeira Angola > Comments

Project Bantu: refugee youth finding their way through Capoeira Angola : Comments

By Kali Goldstone and Raphael Brasil, published 21/6/2011

A holistic approach to refugee resettlement in Australia through Afro-Brazilian culture.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
toni "I was even more disturbed to find that Lego had supporters: Ozzie, Ammonite, Aspley O Sung Wu and Banjo. Who had equally challenged views."

That in itself is telling. Perhaps try reading the comments and re-evaluate your list.

Maybe I'd best spell it out, Ammonite appears to have made a sarcastic comment about the previous posters (it a big stretch to claim support for the previous posts).

Banjo didn't offer any support for the earlier comments, he commented on the style of writing and how difficult it is to follow. Sentiments I do agree with.

I didn't much like LEGO's comments, at the same time rather than just dismissing what they are saying you could perhaps engage and try to understand the concerns. The continued polarisation does not help Australia or those coming here to get the balance right.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 7:50:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many thanks Robert & Morganzola.

Tonti

My comment was nothing more than sarcasm. How else to respond to such xenophobes who preceded me on the comments thread.

To those who see colour rather than people, please watch SBS tonight at 8.30 PM, it is the second part of "Go Back To Where You Came From) - I don't expect that it will necessarily change your minds - but at least you cannot be accused of deliberate ignorance if you do watch.

You can catch up on last night's episode here:

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/goback
Posted by Ammonite, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 9:10:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
tonti,
Where in the article is a description or explanation of what they acyually do?

There is reference to music and a couple to a 'game'.

No wonder they have trouble getting sponsorship, if she has trouble explaining what they actually do in class.

Then there was some reference to some wonderfull conference they attended in NZ, again without saying what made it so good.

Why can't they simply say what they are on about?

Sounds like a sham to me.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 9:17:02 AM
On the contrary, Morganzola, what is fuelling racism in Australia and every other western country today, is the behaviour of some of the ethnic and religious groups that we have imported into our countries in the last thirty years.

It was once perfectly acceptable for a safe country like Australia, which was 95% white, to wag our fingers at the "racism" in other countries, and to make pious statements about about racial equality. The problem is that we have now imported people from violent cultures, and Australians are now being confronted by the fact that their former naive humanitarian attitudes were wrong all along.

Some ethnic and religious minorites are very disproportionately represented in violent criminal behaviour and welfare dependency, so it is hardly surprising that Australians today are becoming more racist as a result of it. The surest cure for those expressing just how awful racism is, is to come into contact with some of the ethnicities they have been defending.

The rule of thumb appears to be, that those most enamoured of multiculturalism, are the ones most geographicaly removed fromi its consequences. Entire suburbs of Sydney are seeing the entire white populations flee because their once safe suburbs are being invaded by tribal groups who delight in menacing whites. Ask any white schoolgirl, or any white female teacher in a school full of Muslim boys, what she thinks of multiculturalism.

When people like you talk about "racism", you mean white racism towards others. It does not even cross your mind that many ethnic and religious groups who you champion could teach the Ku Klux Klan a thing or two about racism. While you may dream about a fragmented Australian population with no recogniseable ethnic identity, some of the non white people who you are importing have no qualms about being only concerned about the interests of their own religious or ethnic groups.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 1:06:24 PM
Like I said in my initial post on this particular thread...it's all too late, I'm afraid.

Perhaps, my only suggestion is - the very next time violence is occasioned upon some poor bugger; perpetrated by these individuals eg. the Sudanese and ors. - let the educated, erudite, and compassionate 'do gooders' go to the crime scene, and show us dumb coppers how to successfully manage it. And later, how to prevent similar crimes of violence occurring involving the same groups.

Regrettably, some of these people have little or no respect for police or our laws. They know we're a soft touch and short of becoming axe murderers, know they'll get away with these street crimes of violence.

Sadly, some of you haven't got a clue. Sure, your hearts are in the right place, but we live in a world where there's little truck nor regard, for a good heart !
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 2:39:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sung wu,
I see you are a former copper and seem to know what this 'class' is all about. Can you explain in simple terms what it is about?

I am getting the feeling that these are Sudanese youths sent to this class by the courts because they have committed criminal acts. Is this so? You would never know from the article.

Are they given counceling at this class and if so what success rate do they have.

It is incredible that one has to ask another poster about the subject of an article.

Rather than the authors not having the ability to explain, maybe they don't want to say what goes on or disclose the activities. Is it a way of these youths to avoid jail?
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 5:13:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy