The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are women's rights, human rights? > Comments

Are women's rights, human rights? : Comments

By Kali Goldstone, published 17/6/2011

International human rights law does not effectively protect women from sexual and reproductive violations

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Suzieonline wrote;

<I feel incredibly angry at the way these poor woman, girls and female babies are treated in some places in the world.
The practice of infanticide of females is particularly abhorrent to me. The act of actually killing many female babies simply because they are female!>

This exactly what inflammatory stories do, that is their aim. The aim is to stimulate the limbic system to over ride the much more advanced neurocortex.

For those with limited memory or selective memory, not that long ago, there was mass hysteria over breast implants causing all sorts of disorders in women. There were the usual compelling heartbreaking stories about breast implants causing cancer excetera.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/swell_lawyers/

Well it turns out eventually that breast implants were safe and were not causing disease in women.

Up until this stage the claim makers, and the media had a ball. Since then silence.

In many countries around the world, western countries are painted as being evil and decandent.

So who is right and who is wrong?

I do not beleive that we have the right to impose western cultural ideals onto other cultures, which is much the same as imposing roman catholic or protestant beliefs on other cultures, when there is still much to be improved on in our own culture.
Posted by JamesH, Sunday, 19 June 2011 3:24:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear JamesH.,

With all due respect you seem to be somewhat mis-informed on the issue of breast augmentation. The fuss about breast implants was
caused as a result of the findings by the US Food and Drug Aministration that found that there was an association between breast implants and the development of ALCL (Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma)
in some women. As a result - the FDA in the US has approved only 4 breast implants for marketing in the US. All others except for these 4 are considered "investigational devices." Breast implants are still a work in progress and there are strict guidelines that need to be followed - including the ages of women who are suitable for breast
reconstruction.

As for us not imposing our standards onto other cultures - I agree
with you up to a point. However, when atrocities are allowed and committed in the name of "culture," or religion - then I for one could not turn a blind eye. The moral choice is ours to make.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 19 June 2011 6:05:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author of this article is correct in every point she makes.

The mistreatment of women is the big elephant in the room at the United Nations which most of the leaders there do not wish to acknowledge.

It is the big elephant in the room because it causes most of the poverty and misery that drives a lot of the war and conflicts in overpopulated countries. It is the big elephant in the room when they talk about climate change and the environment, these things again directly attributable to the pressures of overpopulation.

If all women in the world were given control over their own reproduction then you can bet your sweet bippy the world populations would reduce by at least a half in the coming generations. A lot of the war and conflict,poverty and environmental pressures would halve as well.

The constant abuse of human rights continues non-stop against women all over the world, all the time, not just in times of genocide, as some male posters here tried to make a case of . Yes men suffer terribly in war, but they don't suffer so much in times of non-war. Women's human rights are violated 365days a year non-stop in many countries all over the world.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 20 June 2011 1:42:19 AM
Peter Hume
<By the way, where do forced labour and forced payments come in your catalogue of violations of human rights?>

Why don't you mention forced labour with no payment, which women were subjected to in the West less than 100years ago, before they were forced to go to court and argue the case to be allowed contraception which had to be granted by an all male court.

You have a go at looking after 8 to 10or 12children like they did back then and you might understand what real labour was. What it was like to be totally exhausted and worn out all the time. With no payment for the hours they worked, while their husbands had total financial control over them. What you think of as being hard done by now, is nothing compared to what women have endured at the hands of the laws of a male dominated society for thousands of years. So, you are forced to labour and pay for(take some responsibility) for the children you fathered.

Cop it sweet, like women were forced to in this society before they fort for the right to vote (another human right that was denied them)and managed to wrest some of the power away from the males. I'm sorry, but in the light of what women endured and are still forced to endure in a lot of the world today I have absolutely no sympathy for your trifling complaints.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 20 June 2011 2:11:50 AM
Lexi,
You said "As for us not imposing our standards onto other cultures - I agree
with you up to a point. However, when atrocities are allowed and committed in the name of "culture," or religion - then I for one could not turn a blind eye. The moral choice is ours to make".

You say you could not turn a blind eye, Yet I have not seen you say you will lobby politicians here about the occurance of FGM and forced marriage. These subjects arise on OLO from time to time.

We have a female PM and had a few female state premiers and many female Ministers, so why is it that FGM is on the increase. The reason being that females here turn a blind eye to attrocities carried out in the name of religion or culture.

Frankly I think the continued incidence of FGM in Western societies is an indicment of women in powerfull positions. How about we uphold our laws here before trying to impose our values on other countries.

Just to remind all, there is a report, compiled by the Islamic womens association of Victoria, about some divorced men forcing sex on their former wives by claiming that, under Islam, they are still married.
That report was delivered to the government in 2007, so why has it been pigeon holed and not tabled in Parliament?

We do turn a blind eye.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 20 June 2011 10:39:32 AM
Dear Banjo,

You shouldn't make assumptions about me. I've been politically involved for many, many years regarding human rights - involved not
only in this country but internationally. Considering my family background and the atrocities committed against them in the previous
Soviet Union from which they fled during the Second World War - my stance is understandable. I've made my moral choice a long time ago.
But Thanks for your concern. It is appreciated.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 20 June 2011 11:03:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy