The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fuelling the next terror > Comments

Fuelling the next terror : Comments

By Julian Cribb, published 3/6/2011

In Afghanistan we may be inadvertently helping to raise, train and arm the next generation of terrorists

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
>>we may inadvertently be helping to raise, train and arm the next generation of terrorists.>>

What do you mean by inserting the word "may" into the above?

Is that a typo?

Shouldn't it read:

>>we ARE inadvertently helping to raise, train and arm the next generation of terrorists.>>
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 3 June 2011 5:19:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stevenlmeyer,the West with its' interference in Arab oil rich countries has created all the terrorism.They have also done false flag terrorism themselves to justify the invasion of Arab oil/resource rich nations.Corporate Western Imperialism is the reason for terrorism.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 3 June 2011 5:29:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LETS HOPE OUR LEADERS CAN DROP SAD U.S. SAYINGS

I'm hoping that the new Chief of the Defence Force and Minister Smith will not insult all Australians with that brainless excuse for destroyed lives "stay the course". I've heard it before from several serving officers - probably 'all the way with the USA' Molan?

Both Canada and the Netherlands (which left Afghanistan) have suffered years longer than Australian forces. Some Canadians (who have lost more than 80) and Dutch pro-war advocates clutched for reasons to stay in Afghanistan. However no pro-war advocate can genuinely locate a reason for fighting Afghans other being there because America wants our countries to be there - and we have to be loyal to the world's most powerful Army.

Our flags flying alongside America's are a diplomatic cover to disguise America's particular national strategic reasons for having us all in Afghanistan indefinitely. If counter-terrorism was the reason then America could easily run a counter-terrorism campaign on its own with just a few thousand troops rather than a full-fledged counter-insurgency with over 100,000 troops and us and NATO.

The political gamesmanship of the Afghan campaign is revealed in Obama's apparently prescient decision in 2009-10, that 2 years hence, that is next year (2012) 30,000 US troops could and will be 'de-surged' back to America. This return will symbolize Obama's sound leadership in war (essential for continuing US Presidents) just before the 2012 US Presidential Election. Funny forward thinking that.

We haven't heard "stay the course" from our new Defence Chief as each of our brave troops body's return. The Chief looks far too wise, and humane, to echo other leader's lies, I hope.

Peter Coates
http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 3 June 2011 5:44:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Look Julian, this is all getting really out of perspective. You lead with the death of an Australian combatant. As ex military myself, I am always saddened by such loss of life.

If I’m correct; we have lost some 25 combatants since the intervention since when?, 2003? That’s eight years.

In the meantime, we are killing 1,500 Australians a year on our roads, 251 children each year are killed in domestic accidents within the home and Australians are dying in horrific circumstances in about 20 other categories, totaling about 3,000 a year.

If you need to make a case for 25 tragedies in 8 years, against 24,000 in the same period, it’s time you retired in disgrace.

Sorry, but proportionality is getting lost in politics, and that is the real tragedy.
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 3 June 2011 6:56:35 PM
Your still thinking only of the Australians, spindoc. I'm also thinking of the hundreds of thousands of Asian lives wasted in those conflicts. As Donne had it: "every man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind".
Posted by JulianC, Friday, 3 June 2011 7:12:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Though it is a popular anecdote with many of the literati in the West . I would not think that too many terrorists are fuelled by "aircraft rocketing wedding feasts", or civilians killed in battle.

I mean, if this was a sure fire way of creating terrorists there should be literary millions of anti-Talban terrorists .
Since the Taliban (both in Afghanistan and Pakistan) daily , deliberately, target civilians.

And if one needed further proof, ask yourself: If Afghan civilians are so alienated by the actions of the West , why are so many (disguised as refugees) heading to the West ? You don’t run towards something you fear/hate.

No, I think most of the terrorists are fuelled by an ideology that preaches to young pubescent males that if they follow its narrow dictates they can get to heaven and be eternally ministered to by 77 doe eyed virgins .

And is taught like this, in thousands of madrassas across Pakistan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqRNp2wAjYM&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i4Yq91CbR4
or Bangladesh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltsv40vCP7g
Or almost anywhere else in the Muslim world --- day after day after day after day …

That is where the terrorists are fuelled.

Actually, I’d hazard a guess that more terrorists are fuelled by reports of civilian deaths in Afghanistan –right here in the west – by people like Julian unwittingly amplifying the Taliban’s propaganda.
Posted by SPQR, Saturday, 4 June 2011 7:50:53 AM
Julian, I am categorically not just “thinking only of Australians”. I am asking you for a sense of proportionality and reason.

If you wish to make a case, based upon the tragic death of an ADF member at the hands of an alleged terrorist within the ranks, that’s fine, but to do this against a background of a perceived threat against us because of our ADF presence, is quite something else.

I find it obnoxious that the terrorist propaganda machine promotes this “threat” of more terrorism of we don’t stop letting the terrorists terrorize, and that some amongst our own promote the same propaganda. If anyone is supporting more atrocities it is those activists who promote terrorist propaganda.

Terrorism is a product of power struggles within failed States. It is often exacerbated by the presence of foreign troops but only to the extent that we are getting in the way of “their” struggle for power. Terrorists are not willing to go to the ballot box as it is contrary to their interests.

Unfortunately for the “great causes”, the international activism industry is, at every level, miserably inept, emotionally dysfunctional, ill informed, manipulated and totally irrelevant, other than to the immense damage they inflict upon perfectly valid public concerns.

One of the great tragedies of modern times and one of the greatest evils perpetrated upon the peoples of the underdeveloped nations, is the notion that their pain, suffering and poverty is a direct result of the policies, oppression, domination and power of the developed world. This is the message that terrorism and our own activists chose to promote.

In truth, the absence of social justice and inequity in the third world is a direct result of the policies, oppression, domination and power of their own leadership, which is the primary cause. That is not to say that the actions of the developed world have no negative impact however, they are not the primary cause and it is quite malicious to suggest otherwise.

This is being confirmed as we write, by the rebellions of Arab peoples against their own leadership, not us.
Posted by spindoc, Saturday, 4 June 2011 10:22:12 AM
Hmmh, some are starting to see what many of us have been seeing for decades. All the so-called brain-drain to such countries along with providing them with education & weapons is nothing short of suicide by compassion. All we want is peace & so do they but without us on the face of the planet. All those intellectuals going over there to educate those who want to do away with us should not get our support when the crap hits the fan. how much more evidence do the intellectuals need to get thrown at before they wake up ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 5 June 2011 10:06:27 AM
Actually when I saw the article heading I thought this would be something to do with Global Warming......

The AGW thing being basically dumped by all sane countries... noting Gillard and Co, as an insanity, seem intent on losing government over it

So with no "AGW"/Carbon gas - what could be the next apocalypse campaign for the collectivist left to dupe their useful idiots with?
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 5 June 2011 11:40:59 AM
I think this article is shalow and simplistic, adding nothing of substance to the debate.
When the US asserted that someone living in Afghanistan had organised a significant attack on them, it was their rponsibility to produce the evidence for their assertion and initiate deportation, if the US and Afghanistan had a deportation arrangement. Because there was no such arrangement, and the suspect did not give himself up to US authorities, and continued to claim responsibility for the attack, the US chose to invade Afghanistan to apprehend or kill the suspect.
As far as I understand international law, this is lawful on the US' part (if highly unpopular and almost certainly unwise). Furthermore, such an invading force has the responsibility to provide the minimum security of the state apparatus which it destroyed - the Afghan state - and to remain doing so until the Afghan state can resume this responsibility. This is also an obligation under international law.
Many, both inside and outside Aghamistan, wish foreign troops to leave, but they can only morally do so once minimum security is re-established. It may be that the present foreign troops can never do this, but they must make the attempt or organise others to do so. At present they, and especially Australian forces, are committed to training Afghan troops to replace them. That (some of) those troops may attack foreign forces is no reason to stop the training. It is only Afghan troops and police who will ultimately provide the necessary minimum security.
Many outside Afghanistan, and some inside, worry that fanatical religous leaders - Taliban and others - will take over Afghnistan and return to the days when Osama bin Laden and others like him were free to do as they please, turning Afghanistan into something resembling Saudi Arabia and Syria. This may eventually happen, but it should be, if ever, with the consent of the Afgh people. It will certainly happen if foreign troops leave without re-establishing minimum security, and it will not happen with the consent of the Afghan people, but over the dead bodies of any dissenters.
Posted by camo, Thursday, 9 June 2011 11:00:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy