The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A public service is needed for the unlucky in love > Comments

A public service is needed for the unlucky in love : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 31/5/2011

The sole reason for a government’s existence is to minimise the problems associated with its citizens’ existence. That obligation would surely apply to the central problem of life - which biology tells us is to find a suitable mate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Suzeonline-humans beings are a little further along the evolutionary scale than animals. Mr Holden. We aren't living in the jungles as apes anymore.

We may be cleverer in some ways than the animals, bear in mind that they also have some cleverer abilities than us also. Without our intellect to build sheilds and weapons we would be very quickly pushed to the bottom of the food chain by those animals you think are so far below us because of some of their superior capabilities.

In this way and many others the intellect serves the biological survival of the human being. Notice I said the intellect serves the biological. This relates to the point Mr. Holden is making so correctly and eloquently here. The human being is driven by the biological need to survive first and foremost, the intellect is the major tool by which he does this. Therefore the intellect is but a servant and a tool which the human being uses to obtain their driving underlying needs(hidden motivations and desires). Which are driven by our animal biology. What are the top desires of the human.

1. the buying of land and a home for shelter(survival instinct)
& also the biological need for
a nest to nuture &
protect the young.
(the nesting instinct)

2. the using of the intellect to get
a uni degree to obtain the income
to buy the best house,nest,etc. - the intellect serving the instinct -

3.The constant wars and genocide
between different strains of the human-- The biological territorial
survial instinct of the human

We are indeed driven by our biological(animal)instinct to find a mate(partner)as Brian points out. I am not sure about the state
love-match agency though.
Posted by CHERFUL, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:23:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellebecq- It scares me that some men seem to really believe the clinical analysis like the above.

I too wish that the idea of love and soul mates were true and it saddens me that I really believe that it is biologically driven and instigated by nature's chemicals. Especially in the early years of love when the attraction is really at it's peak. It's like nature sprinkles pixie dust in our eyes to encourage procreation. That's why the feelings are so intense in the beginning years. I believe fondness and a feeling of belonging and caring can often result from the long familiarity and shared life events but love in the sense that it is so romanticised in our society, I don't really believe in.

Nature is very clever, in that we think it is all our own emotion and feeling and that is just what nature intends. We should all enjoy the feelings of being in love and feeling like special soulmates though. Why not, it's a great way to feel.
Happy days and times are to be treasured in life
Posted by CHERFUL, Thursday, 2 June 2011 12:18:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy