The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A public service is needed for the unlucky in love > Comments

A public service is needed for the unlucky in love : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 31/5/2011

The sole reason for a government’s existence is to minimise the problems associated with its citizens’ existence. That obligation would surely apply to the central problem of life - which biology tells us is to find a suitable mate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The advantage of having marriages arranged by a third party is that it gives both partners a common enemy.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 2:59:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice one Jon J.

"The female’s focus on security is DNA-driven. This is the reason that so many attractive women marry relatively powerful men - regardless of the man’s appearance."

Here's a secret Brian - the reason so many attractive women do that is because they've decided not to use their brains in the market place. They actually just want the money.

That's OK. I just wouldn't put it all down to DNA.
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 3:53:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Imagine the compensation claims.

It's been said that the scariest sentence in the english language is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

I was looking for the punch line but could not find it. Is Brian serious?

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 4:32:16 PM
I think it's a very interesting, creative article. I can also see the benefits to the Government providing such a service, thus potentially reducing health (physical & mental) and other costs in the future, although it could potentially reverse if the Government "stuffs up" and doesn't match well - considering there is much that any Government in power doesn't do well.

Anyway - just interesting.
Posted by jml1967, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 7:11:07 PM
With the greatest of respect Brian, I have never read so much rubbish in an article on OLO before!

Perhaps you dream of joining the ancient times in the Jewish faith, when real matchmakers were used for all couples of Jewish faith?

"We observe that in all animals, the male pursues and the female chooses. That choice is based on her need for security. She subconsciously chooses the male who she feels can protect herself and her progeny. The female’s focus on security is DNA-driven. This is the reason that so many attractive women marry relatively powerful men - regardless of the man’s appearance. This is the reason that so many women stay with abusive partners."

Lol !
Human beings are a little further along the evolutionary scale than 'all animals' Mr. Holden. We aren't living in the jungle as apes anymore.

If women were to choose (subconsciously or otherwise) only males they felt could protect them and their progeny, then surely ALL males of small or weak looking stature, and/or poor finances would logically never find a mate?

I doubt that 'DNA-driven' women choose to stay with abusive partners because they feel a 'need for security' from these 'protective males'! Where on earth did you get that gem of information from?

I really don't see the logic or the point of this article at all?
Posted by suzeonline, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 1:25:45 AM
'because in one day a single man can, theoretically, be the cause of up to 50 pregnancies '

I reckon I can go 51.

I only ever see men relate these ridiculous nature driven critiques of male-female relations. It's almost as if men find the whole relating to women as independent individuals so threatening they create these elaborite theories to clinicalise relationships and strip them of emotion.

Well, I'm not affraid of emotion. I enjoy 'love', I believe it exists and most often overrides biology to a large extent.

Sure there are feremones that rule initial attraction and such, but there's nothing particularly clever about denying people are individuals with emotions.

I suppose women more likely go the other way and get all wrapped up in overly emotional 'romantic' movies and want their life to run like that, but I think they in general have that as an escape. It scares me that some men seem to really believe the clinical analysis like the above.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:27:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy