The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What the world owes to the Protestant Bible > Comments

What the world owes to the Protestant Bible : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 23/5/2011

Atheists should respect the historical role that the Bible has played as the first step towards the technology that we have today.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
That summarizes the problem quite neatly, Philo.

>>david f, I agree; Any teacher who believes his stuff feels responsible to tell it to make changes to the status quo.<<

Personally, I would prefer that these folk stick to an agreed curriculum, rather than impose their own beliefs on susceptible children, who might still believe that any adult knows best, or who might not yet be courageous enough to contradict their "teacher".

Merely believing that you are right excuses nothing.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 5 June 2011 3:28:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,
The topic is the influece the Protestant Bible has made to the World. In particular I was speaking about the teachings of Jesus. Obviously you would have preferred the teachings of the old Roman Empire pre Christ, or the teachings of Marx or Mao. Unfortunately they do not have the universal divine truth that applies to all men's spirit.

You said,'Personally, I would prefer that these folk stick to an agreed curriculum". As for what you said it is out of context. Now you are telling me Jesus should not have given his teachings which were contrary to the teachings of the scribes and Pharisees according to their set cirucculum. NONSENSE!
Posted by Philo, Sunday, 5 June 2011 4:53:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is not I who takes these things out of context, Philo.

>>Pericles, The topic is the influece the Protestant Bible has made to the World. In particular I was speaking about the teachings of Jesus.<<

That's as maybe. However, I was referring to your advertisement for evangelization, which unfortunately so many Christians insist upon taking to heart...

>>Any teacher who believes his stuff feels responsible to tell it to make changes to the status quo<<

...and using them as justification for their conversion programmes in schools.

Maybe you should take time out to explain to them, that just because they "believe their stuff", it doesn't give them licence to force it upon unformed minds in the hope that it will "make changes to the status quo".
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 6 June 2011 9:50:21 AM
Pericles,
You should have posted on another topic, "Chaplains in schools".
What you said here is out of context.

Isaac Newton told his views against common belief. Did it make a difference to how we viewed the world? Jesus gave his teaching against common beliefs. Did it make a difference to how we lived in the world? Curriculum is set by beliefs held at the time, sometimes beliefs have to be challenged.
Posted by Philo, Monday, 6 June 2011 10:39:09 AM
Fair comment.

>>Pericles, You should have posted on another topic, "Chaplains in schools".<<

It certainly would have been equally pertinent there.

Except that you posted your sound-bite here, on this thread.

>>Any teacher who believes his stuff feels responsible to tell it to make changes to the status quo<<

It was such a frank admission that "any teacher" should place the transmission of his/her own belief system above that of the requirements of the job. It so clearly describes what the missionary/chaplains consider to be their prime objective, I couldn't let it pass without comment.

I suppose I could have cross-posted, but that would be cumbersome.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 6 June 2011 2:49:36 PM
Pericles,
Religion is a subject covered by the HSC in NSW. I have a copy of the curriculum, 'Senior High School studies in religion',though I have never taught in State Schools. The RE teachers also have a set curriculum to teach by. I have a brother and two sisters [one a deputy principal]who were teachers in State and religious schools. We have five State School teachers in our Church [one a principal] they will influence children by attitudes and views.

Chaplains do not teach religion or hold a class. They are there to encourage students individually. The only time they might address a class is if one of the class has died and the class might suffer some trauma from it.
Posted by Philo, Monday, 6 June 2011 4:18:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All