The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Some facts about the Middle-East > Comments

Some facts about the Middle-East : Comments

By Steven Meyer, published 5/5/2011

The Middle-East is fast running out of lots of things, but not people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
CHERFUL

I'm not actually debating you. I don't waste time on hopeless projects.

My prime intention was to put the facts out there for others who might be interested. I shall not respond to any further posts you make on this topic.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 9 May 2011 7:47:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
STEVENLMEYER

I think you were actually debating, when you posted those facts. You did after all address three questions to me, in a post addressed to me.

I also do not wish to enter hopeless debate with someone who finds it hard to acknowledge and accept the truth of things because it does not fit their idealist view.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 9 May 2011 7:51:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just thought I'd add an update on Egypt's situation from the Asian Times:

The hunger to come in Egypt

May 10, 2011

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/ME10Ak01.html

>>Egypt is running out of food, and, more gradually, running out of money with which to buy it. The most populous country in the Arab world shows all the symptoms of national bankruptcy...

[...]

The civil violence we have seen over the past few days foreshadows far worse to come.

The Arab uprisings began against a background of food insecurity, as rising demand from Asia priced the Arab poor out of the grain market ...All the discussion about Egypt's future political model and its prospective relations with Israel will be overshadowed by the country's inability to feed itself.

[...]

The Ministry of Solidarity and Social Justice is already forming "revolutionary committees" to mete out street justice to bakeries, propane dealers and street vendors who "charge more than the price prescribed by law", >>

If this article is accurate Egypt may be a failed state sooner than many think.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 23 May 2011 6:59:06 PM
This is a response to this article that I received from a friend who is an Egyptian living in Egypt. He invited me to submit this as a response, so here it is in three parts as there is a limit of 350 words imposed by the system .... Part 1:

Hi

Kindly please allow me to take each point and shed some light on it and give you the truth on it as an Egyptian living in Egypt and not from the perspective of a Journalist who lives abroad, and uses google earth to determine the size of Egypt.

Quote "Egypt is not a large rectangular country with a surface area greater than New South Wales. It is a small Y-shaped country that exists mostly along the banks of the Nile and its delta. The effective area of Egypt is roughly half the size of Tasmania." UNQUOTE

Actually this may have been true back in the 70's where the total "effective" area of Egypt was only 5%, now it has changed due to numerous projects in the desert and elsewhere, the total effective area is now more than 20%

QUOTE "However the “upstream” states such as Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia have indicated that they want to take more of the water that flows into the Nile for their own use. This can only worsen Egypt’s situation." UNQUOTE

Again, information is obtained through international media and online, rather than exerting some effort in putting forth the truth of the matter at hand.

The upstream Countries, want to erect certain dams to be able to implement certain industrial projects which have nothing to do with taking more or less water from Egypt's share, and this misunderstanding was clarified and it is readily available now online for truth seekers.

QUOTE "I do not think there is any doubt that food prices are headed upwards. How will Egypt finance ever growing food imports? It used to be an oil exporter but is now a net importer of oil. It does have some LNG exports but these have been flat for some time." UNQUOTE
Posted by deadly, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 2:21:35 PM
part 2.

Both pieces of info are grossly inaccurate and indicate someone who is not thorough in his research, first off, Egypt still Export both Oil and Natural Gas, yet Oil exports are dwindling, but Natural gas is being exported to Israel, Jordan and Syria. Now the new (however well known discovery) is Gold, there is enough reserve of Gold in Egypt to surpass the combined revenue of the Suez Canal as well as the Oil, the first export deal for Gold (10 tons) was executed 2 weeks ago.

QUOTE "To understand the magnitude of Egypt’s failure look at geography. It is almost next door to the EU, one of the richest markets in the world. Europe sources many of its imports from Asia, notably from China but also from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and many others.
But it sources little from Egypt on its doorstep.
Why not? Egypt has a large unemployed and under-employed and young labour force. Why aren’t factories springing up to supply the European market?" UNQUOTE

Very True, but why single Egypt out of the rest of the pack, isn't Israel as well as the rest of the Arab World as well as the Eastern Mediterranean Countries including Greece, Cyprus all combined are also at the footsteps of EU? the clear answer that China has not left room for anyone else in the world to compete in the international trade arena, including a huge Asian Giant called "India" who is just recently started to fight its way into such trade, and this is very obvious since China has a huge population exceeding a Billion and adopt a trading philosophy of Sell..Sell..Sell otherwise they will starve to death.
Posted by deadly, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 2:22:48 PM
part 3.
In the past 10 years I visited China more than 12 times at least on business, and I have seen how they need to sell to make money to be able to simply eat, such dire need does not exist in Egypt. And one can simply ask why isn't any other Country outside the roam of Asia is able to supply the EU? why didn't the Author bring up the whole South American Continent? yet Egypt export to Europe Fresh Fruits and produce, Cement, Ceramic Tiles, Carpets, Furniture, Marble... (all easily verifiable online by the way).

QUOTE "If Egypt had an industrial base it would be able to trade goods for food. As it is I do not see how Egypt can either increase food production or finance rising food imports fast enough.
Egypt looks like a train smash waiting to happen." UNQUOTE

Egypt has a small industrial base, yet it does not to trade that for goods, in fact Egypt export more than 300,000 metric tons of Rice every year to Syria alone..
Egypt also export Onions, Potatoes, and fresh Fruits to the Gulf Countries as well as Lebanon, and the EU...It does not look to me like a Country scrambling to put food on the table for its citizens.
In fact how can anyone look at Egypt's economy growth rate ( one of the highest in the region for 6 years in a row according to UNISEF ) And arrive at the conclusion that it is like a train smash waiting to happen... I'd have to totally disagree and to also question the resources from which the Author pulls all this information.
It is an absolute shame that such an image is projected about a Country which is totally unfounded and unfair.

Feel free to send this reply to the Author only if you feel like it.

Mahmoud
Posted by deadly, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 2:23:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy