The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Chernobyl 25 years on > Comments

Chernobyl 25 years on : Comments

By Sue Wareham, published 3/5/2011

There are more problems with nuclear energy than just reactor accidents.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Antigreen.
To make a bomb, go to
http://www.zamandayolculuk.com/cetinbal/manhattanproj.htm
It's not classified at all.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 3 May 2011 9:04:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Never mind the emotional alarmism of raising the spectres of Chernobyl, I stopped reading when Wareham threw in 'Homer Simpsons' for good measure as well. This is a new nadir of intellectual bankruptcy for anti-nuclear activism.
Posted by Mark Duffett, Tuesday, 3 May 2011 10:36:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
VK3AUU/David - you make the good point in that atomic bomb recipies can be found online, but making such a bomb is still a very long way from being easy.. refining critical mass uranium from the basic ore, or even from reactor grade fuel is a major industrial job.. the pellets then have to shaped or moulded and you have to work out how to do that without dying of radiation poisoning.. then the gun mechanism is dead easy.. but then you have to work out how not to be around when you set it off somewhere crucial.. leave it in place with a timer? If so how do you smuggle the bits to where you want it? Drop it out of a plane.. You could rent a cessna and roll it out the door I suppose - assuming you've worked out the tricky bit about getting it to detonate when it hits - but could you get away fast enough in a cessna?

This is all way beyond the skill levels and funding of terrorists, thankfully..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 3 May 2011 11:50:59 PM
VK3AUU much thanks for the recipe . Tomorrow morning I will visit my nearest Bunnings Store to buy the required ingredients. With luck plus your know-how I should have the first bomb made and assembled by lunch time.
My young grandson will build the 100 ft tower out of meccano parts.
Posted by anti-green, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 12:02:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy