The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Proposed laws to stop illegal logging imports too weak to work > Comments

Proposed laws to stop illegal logging imports too weak to work : Comments

By Reece Turner, published 2/5/2011

If you own timber furniture there is a pretty good chance that some of it was made from illegally logged timber.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
While I wouldn't disagree with the thrust of this article, the great hypocrisy is that ENGO's (who the author represents) which are so outraged about illegal logging and imports of this material into Australia, are also actively campaigning and working behind the scenes to close Australia's native forest timber industry which operates legally and without corruption, and does not deforest.

It is largely because Australian native hardwood, particularly the more durable and attractive species such as Jarrah, are now so difficult to acquire because of politically-expedient industry closures to appease 'green' ENGOs, that we import so much rainforest hardwood from developing countries.

The Howard Government realised this, but this has had no bearing on State Labor Govts which, since 2001, have embarked on a completely unwarranted purging of Australia's domestic NF timber industries for political gain, but with very little conservation benefit considering the negative impact it has had on the capability to manage forest fire, through the chronic under-resourcing of new parks and reserves which now produce nothing.

Tasmania is the current example - with just 26% of its public forest estate in wood production zones (and 74% reserved), the public have been assailed for years with ENGO campaigns proclaiming the need to 'save' forests before the last trees are logged! If these campaigns ultimately succeed in substantially (or fully) throttling the Tas native hardwood industry, we can expect even more illegal timber imports, but strangely this doesn't seen the register amongst our blinkered ENGOs.
Posted by MWPOYNTER, Monday, 2 May 2011 1:28:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have said it before on OLO that for every wood worker job lost a greenie should give up his job as well. That would be balanced, wouldn't it ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 2 May 2011 5:33:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have a fairly large rural block with hardwood a plenty.

Although I have what is known as a 'permit to harvest', I only take trees now and again. It's more of a hobby.

One thing I do know is that once a dominant tree is felled, the smaller trees in that direct area flourish, growing at an increased rate and competing to become the new dominant tree. Sounds strange, but true.

This very action of removing this dominant tree in its self increases the intake of CO2 as the trees grow faster.

Selective harvesting is actually better for the environment than no havesting at all.

Imported timber, legal or illegal, should be banned so as to protect our local industries.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 3 May 2011 11:29:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy