The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Empowering the Macedonian Community to drive policy reform in Australia > Comments

Empowering the Macedonian Community to drive policy reform in Australia : Comments

By Ordan Andreevski, published 20/4/2011

The Australian Macedonian community does not pull as much weight as it should in Australia, all through its own efforts.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Well that's something I never expected to read. I think it may make a lot of sense to someone actively involved in the Macedonian community, but I'm at a loss.

You talk of "a large gap between what the community expects and what it has received from the federal government in terms of policy reform and funding for high impact projects." What "high impact projects" do the Macedonian community hope to undertake? Is that "high impact" in the best interest of Australia collectively, or just of the Macedonian community? Wikipedia (not the best source, I know) tells me that, at the 2006 census, there were 83,983 Macedonians (either by birth or by ancestry) living in Australia, of 19,855,288 people in the nation. That's less than half a percentage point. By contrast, the Greek community represents about 1.8%, South African 0.9% ... the list goes on. How much weight do you really expect the Macedonian community to pack?

What is the Macedonian community's policy reform agenda? Again, is it in the interest of the nation or of the Macedonian community? What Australian government policies towards Macedonians exist, and why should they be criticised? You are being very vague.

I'm an immigrant in this nation, drawing my heritage from a country that doesn't even exist anymore. If I ran for public office, though, I would do so as an Australian - not as a Rhodesian-Australian. To be perfectly honest, I don't particularly like the idea of any hyphenated Australian communities having political power or influence in this country. I like even less the idea of having a Macedonian or Chinese or Sudanese or German or any other person who sees no need to add the word "Australian" to their identity in a position of power.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 9:18:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Exactly - you are in Australia now so get on with helping all of the country, not just one little strata that you think should be 'special'.
Posted by peter piper, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 10:11:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sory Ordan. either you are an "Australian" or you are a "Macedonian". Make up your mind.
Posted by LEGO, Thursday, 21 April 2011 3:44:45 AM
Agree with previous posts.

Isn't multiculturalism just marvellous, with its hyphenated identities and imported cultural baggage. Next there will be an argument as to who is a "Macedonian" and who isn't.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 21 April 2011 9:05:45 AM
Good Heavens! Now I've seen everything.

Tell me Ordan, why did you or your ancestors leave Macedonia? If it was so fantastic why didn't you all just stay there?

I'm an immigrant from South Africa - I am no longer South African. Yes I feel some affinity, but if I had felt the need to remain tied to SA I would have stayed THERE.

I'm fed up to the eye teeth of immigrants who leave their home land for somewhere better - then proceed to try and change it back to where they've come from!
Posted by fiandra, Wednesday, 27 April 2011 4:31:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy