The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Attack the real bludgers, Gillard > Comments

Attack the real bludgers, Gillard : Comments

By John Passant, published 19/4/2011

The amount of money taken under false pretences by welfare 'bludgers' is nothing compared to what corporates rake off.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
RPG...said..

"Capitalism is here to stay, like or not if you suck at it, well, such is life...............and with that! I rest my case:)

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 8:17:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The prison system as a comparison to the dole: (Life for the “crim”)

Prison is an enclosed economy where prisoners are totally subsidised by the state in all facets of daily life.
A forty hour week working in prison factories or employment in prison farm logging industries nets, free of tax, approximately $60.00 pw;
All tangible living expense such as accommodation, education (to a small degree), transport, power (except air conditioning), clothing, toiletries, food, medical, dental and optical care are contributed tax free by the state.

Unemployment as a comparison: (life for the “dole-bludger)

A single rate unemployment benefit of approximately $270.00pw must cover transport to and from prospective employers for interviews (If any). Accommodation at market price, food, medical, (including primary care at $60.00 per doctors visit), urgent dental at market price, any optical care at market price, all clothing, fuel, heating and electricity (and maybe for the real lucky ones, a phone), most of which can be subsidised by begging at the doors of St Vincent de Paul or Salvation Army et al.

Unemployment also brings with it an obligation to work for the dole, thirty hours voluntarily per fortnight, as a societal repayment scheme, aimed at equalising the monetary contribution of the tax payer.

mmmm…Julia and Tony…. I think there is still room to manoeuvre for savings in these austere times
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 8:54:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 5:17:34 AM
Well what can I say JP, you got what you deserved, courtesy of the labor voters.

The GFC was only one contributing factor to under employment.

You see, madam PM was minister for employment at that time and, somehow, in all her wisdom she decided that during the GFC would be a great time to stick it to the employers with her ridiculous IR changes.

End result, bosses go elsewhere.

You see the jobs are still out there, it's only that the lunch rooms are now in the likes of China, India and the Philippines.

Now, from a long term employers position, I feel that if governments were to remove the hurdles that deter us from employing, then that would go a long way towards fixing the problem.

Unfortunately though, the damage caused by labors reckless IR policies (both in the 90's and now) are irreparable in my view as many of our larger employers have gone elsewhere and found that the grass is much greener over there.

I am afraid that in my view it is a case of GAME OVER!

Of cause, you like most other followers now look for the easier option and that is to tax the job creators.

Be carefull what you wish for mate, as they to may take their businesses elsewhere.

Now if that happens you will find the real meaning of under employment.

In the mean time, your best hope is for labor to keep screwing things up, for appart from mining, they are about the only ones creating jobs around here.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 5:36:45 AM
Squeers

You are spot on.

Wealth is not about dollars. But any hapless alien studying human behaviour would be forgiven for concluding all that matters is prestige, power and money.

Our world would be so much poorer without the artists, musicians and the truly visionary - even if they happen to be on the dole.

Comedian, David Hughes, freely admits to remaining on the dole until he achieved success. Australia can afford a few who will never fit the 9 - 5 grind - they are a tiny minority. No country can afford the wealthy reaping massive rewards whether they manage organisations successfully or not.

With so-called capitalism being bailed out by governments (from Howard's tool of a brother through to the GFC) who are the real bludgers?
Posted by Ammonite, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 8:59:58 AM
Firstly it is not Gillard's problem, it's ours collectively. Although she only represents a minority of the population she is by default our proxy. Until we have real proportional representation and we support more independents rather than the corporate parties, this will be the case.

Money only has value on the back of production. Few parasite activities add anything to the national wealth yet they demand an ever-increasing proportion of the country's gross domestic product.

Yes a dole bludger is a parasite, they is they generally produce nothing. So then what is a corporate lawyer? This person also produces nothing, does not contribute to justice and costs our community a lot more than the dole bludger. Perhaps we need more dole bludgers that volunteer and have veggie gardens and less corporate lawyers?

I do not see BHP or Rio Tinto as the real bludgers. They are both productive companies the issue is they are no longer owned and controlled to a large degree by Australians as a consequence the value of production largely goes offshore. I consider the real bludgers are the companies that run parasitic activities and produce nothing. The increase costs to every individual in this country. They would include the gambling industry, the legal industry that does not deal with real justice, the political industry that does not deliver democracy and organised religion that preys on the ignorant and weak. In my opinion the biggest bludger in our society is the advertising industry. Not only are they parasites in their own right, but are an incubator for other parasites such as professional sports people and celebrities.

Our pursuit of the holy dollar is making it more difficult for average Joe blow to get his share of the production pie. Is it any wonder that some in our society choose to secede from it! Perhaps they are the smart ones?

Beach bum was sitting on the beach watching the successful company executive building Beach mansion. The bum approached the executive and asked him "why have you wasted your life to do what I have done all my life”?
Posted by Producer, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 9:07:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy