The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Attack the real bludgers, Gillard > Comments

Attack the real bludgers, Gillard : Comments

By John Passant, published 19/4/2011

The amount of money taken under false pretences by welfare 'bludgers' is nothing compared to what corporates rake off.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Australia has currently the highest rate of workforce participation and the lowest unemployment for many years. It is an odd time to raise the issue of welfare bludgers and seems a knee-jerk response to Abbott's new welfare policy.

Are our politicians ever going to serve up something more creative or is it forever going to be a race to the bottom and wedge politics to distract from the real issues of fraud and corruption at the top of the social and economic hierarchy.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 10:09:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What John hasn’t been able to quote in the statistics included in his article are the really damning figures.

If there are twenty working days in a month, for mathematical purposes, then the practice of deluding the public, and manipulating the figures starts with the classification of a person who works for ONE day in that month being removed from the statistics as ‘unemployed’ to being ‘fully employed’.

It can be seen clearly that the unemployed statistics, so proudly trumpeted by Labor’s George Orwell look-likes queuing up for a burst of smiling spin on the ABC’s Labor propaganda vehicle, Q & A to convince the unsuspecting public that all is well in the world of employment and that the gnomes occupying the kindergarten-on-the-hill are making inroads into the need to ‘increase employment, look at the figures’, ‘increase tax revenues as a result’, the biggest lie of all ‘creating happy families due to increased employment, across the board’ while all the time, grossly using the statistical accounting procedures to make it appear as if it is true.

They even believe it themselves

Sleep comes easily to such people. Politicians have been deluding the public for years, all colours, all creeds. But the real world is getting closer and that is when the truth comes out on the monies given to supporters and friends on the BER, (remember that one?), the hundreds of millions wasted on the insulation fiasco, the travel wastage such as of Rudd and his permanent overseas holiday status, staff numbers, spin doctors and the like and the unresolved ‘boat people’ mismanagement, an open sore, and on it goes.

1984 is alive and well in 2011.

Lies, spin, misinterpretations and red herrings, the best example of which are the six investigations into Defence to distract the public from the real world of compromise by Gillard and her cronies , the rightwing / left wing circus, a never-ending performance and while this is all acting out, the unemployment figures are being massaged to suit the climate.

So John was kind with his quoted statistics. The reality is far worse
Posted by rexw, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 10:09:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quick -

Try Replacing the ALP: http://www.replacingthealp.org/

And the discussion of it on my blog: http://betternature.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/replacing-the-alp/

Amicus-
It must make life a lot simpler to have a reliable filter that excludes what you don't want to hear. Does it also provide the garnish of gratuitous abuse?
Heaven forbid that I was a burden on you (or dependent on you). I live off my hard-earned super, provided by your beloved capitalist system.
Posted by Geoff Davies, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 10:16:14 AM
Must be a slow news day down at OLO HQ for this to get a look in. No-one can deny it is grubby politics to kick the unemployed, especially when there is scant evidence of the "problem" that is apparently driving the issue - I mean 5% unemployment, how low do people really think it can go before it reaches its structural low point? 0%? Only if people in desperate need stop applying for Government support, can't say I like the sound of that one bit. But all that aside, the author's slant on the issue is what makes this such a waste of bandwidth. Like Amicus points out, you tax a business until it is unprofitable then everyone loses. Labour needs capital, the more the latter thrives the better off the former will tend to be. Not perfect but there you go, we seem to muddle through with it. Resorting to tired old platitudes about class war just makes the author look a bit silly. Stick to the point - kicking the unemployed for political mileage is disgraceful. Full stop. Don't make it more than it is. Bringing your jaundiced slant to the story just distracts people from the real issue.
Posted by bitey, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 10:46:04 AM
geoff, I expected that response .. if you want to make accusations that industry is bludging, then back them up. I accuse the author of the same thing, unsubstantiated claims.

Referring to rumor mongery from sites dedicated to such for their membership drives and to thrill their followers is hardly valid.

If industry is bludging then I'm very interested to see how we can stop it - but to just knee jerk to the usual doom sites is hardly substantial.

It must be great having a filter on reality where you get all your information from sites that all think the same way, anti progress, anti business, anti investment and pro doom alarmist.

What was the abuse geoff .. are you so sensitive to see "another geoff beat up" as if it's not true?

You always refer to hysterical claims from anti progress doom sites, what's the problem with pointing that out?

Thank goodness the capitalistic system provides eh?
Posted by Amicus, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 10:47:39 AM
Whoa, rexw! Now there's some hyperbole!
I know what might help - it should be legislated that failed lawyers are NOT permitted to run for any public office.
Posted by Shadyoasis, Tuesday, 19 April 2011 11:56:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy