The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Am I my Palestinian brother’s keeper? > Comments

Am I my Palestinian brother’s keeper? : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 5/4/2011

Marrickville Council, BDS, and the politics of shame.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
PaulL,

We're not really getting anywhere here.

A BDS is already in place against many of Israel's enemies. It just goes by the name UN sanctions. Israel would also have UN sanctions imposed if it were up to 191 out of the 192 countries in the UN. It is only the US which is preventing that. The BDS movement just receognises the fact that Israel is politically protected and tries to impose a 'private' one instead. It is not perfect; UN sanctions would be better, but as that is politically impossible it will have to do. I can't believe I even explaining why the BDs is legitimate.

Do you support sanctions against Iran? Are they legitimate?

Just to set the record straight. I do not support the expulsion of Jews under one Isreal. In fact it would be a disaster. I support a 'real' democracy in Israel. I don't think Palestine is viable as a state and Israel would not tolerate it being part of Jordan (even if Jordan wanted it). It needs to become part of Isael.
Posted by dane, Monday, 11 April 2011 1:30:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If there is a boycott, I trust it will be consequent in every aspect: viz., that boycotters will not undergo any MRI scans or CT scans in the future. These Israeli initiatives must be avoided at all costs! (Incidentally, I know all about Apartheid - I was banned by that regime)
Posted by James9, Monday, 11 April 2011 9:20:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dane,

When you expect to only discuss issues your comfortable with, how exactly would you expect to make any progress

I’m aware that you 'can’t believe you have to explain why a BDS is legitimate', but there is your problem right there. If you want to convince anyone who doesn’t already agree with you, you have to make the case. The only people who’ll accept that you don’t have to explain the legitimacy of a BDS are the people who are already convinced. And the general public is very far from convinced.

You say “.... Israel would also have UN sanctions imposed if it were up to 191 out of the 192 countries in the UN”

Now that is flat out, not true.

In terms of sanctions, it is simply not true to claim that 191 out of 192 nations would vote for them. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and not call it a lie, but it is certainly NOT true.

You should know that the US only has a veto in the security council. The Security Council only has 15 members, with the 5 permanent members EACH having a veto. The US can't veto general assembly resolutions.

Just for the record,

1) I don’t accept that Israel has the right to keep the territories it took in 1967.

2) A two state solution is absolutely practicable if Israel withdraws behind these borders.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clinton_Parameters.

The fact that Israel's opponents in the 'one Israel' policy won't support the most realistic chance for peace of peace and prosperity for all parties, should tell you something. And that something is - that these people are almost entirely ideologically opposed to the US and its allies. How else could you reconcile them being prepared to cede power to an organisation which on EVERY humanitarian measure is significantly worse than Israel. I of course refer to HAMAS.
Posted by PaulL, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 7:48:00 AM
MissEagle,

I suggest that you read the observation made by exiled Iraqi writer and intellectual Najem Wali who visited Israel in 2007, meeting the "Arabs of '48" (Kölner Stadt Anzeiger, May 13, 2008)

"... "Arabs of '48" ... these Palestinians basically enjoy the same rights as all other citizens. That they are allowed to express their views and live their traditions without fear of imprisonment. ... are allowed to vote for their representatives and found their own political parties."

Wali continued ...

" ... when comparing these people to Palestinians who live in his country – he might suddenly see the injustice, the betrayal, to which the Arabs in his homeland have had a lifetime's exposure in the name of "occupied Palestine."

and ...

"Israel has not overturned democracy even under the pressure of war. But the citizens in Arab countries are worth nothing to their leaders.”

In Israel, Arabs serve in the Knesset, on the Supreme Court, in diplomatic postions, are represented within the top military ranks, in academia, indeed all walks of life. 20% of university students are Arab, which well represents the proportion of Arabs in Israeli society.

Wali was challenged to visit Israel to see for himself after Egyptian literary Nobel Prize laureate, Naguib Mahfouz, laid out in 1978 in a letter to his Israeli colleague Sasson Somekh:

"I dream of the day when, thanks to the collaboration among us, this region will become a home overflowing with the light of learning and science, and blessed by the highest principles of heaven."

Inspite of those who would be delighted to identify apartheid in Israel, none exists.

Black student leaders slam 'apartheid' characterization
http://www.jpost.com/LandedPages/PrintArticle.aspx?id=215811

Martin Luther King so supported Israel, that he remarked that those who are anti-Israel were anti-Semites.

cont ...
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 1:27:20 PM
As for religious discrimination against one’s own, I would suggest you look no further than some of the Christian denominations in your own back yard. An educated person is aware that discrimination occurs in all religions. Islam has taken discrimination within its ranks to a whole new level.

Like PaulL, I firmly believe that Israel should return territories taken in 1967 ... Albeit under international law and Resolution 242, until the Palestinians determine a state, Israel's presence there is entirely legal.
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 1:32:29 PM
Danielle

So what are you saying? The article under discussion is about Boycotts Divestments and Sanctions (BDS) applied to Israel because of its apartheid policies.

Does Israel practice apartheid?

Yes it does. It is perverse to state otherwise. Please read

http://icahdusa.org/2010/03/is-israel-an-apartheid-state/

Do you deny that there is "a system of control in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, including Jewish-only settlements, separate roads, military checkpoints, discriminatory marriage law, the West Bank barrier, use of Palestinians as cheap labour, Palestinian West Bank enclaves, inequities in infrastructure, legal rights, and access to land and resources between Palestinians and Israeli residents in the Israeli-occupied territories resembles some aspects of the South African apartheid regime, and that elements of Israel's occupation constitute forms of colonialism and of apartheid, which are contrary to international law.[4] Some commentators extend the analogy, or accusation, to include Arab citizens of Israel, describing their citizenship status as second-class." Wikipedia.
Posted by Stan1, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 6:01:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All