The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Am I my Palestinian brother’s keeper? > Comments

Am I my Palestinian brother’s keeper? : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 5/4/2011

Marrickville Council, BDS, and the politics of shame.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
"The men, women and children of Palestine are human beings worthy of respect, and the violation of their human rights is something that should offend us all. "

Thank You Dave Smith. Thank You for taking the time to write.

Our own ignorance in society about these issues are our demise.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 6:10:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Father Dave, I could dispute your liberal theological views, or your stand on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, but think that you've glossed over the real issue here. Local government has no place to meddle in the business of Australia's foreign policy. That's what Federal Government is for.

A Government can only represent those for whom they have responsibility. As a Perth resident, I would not expect the Victorian Government to govern over our state issues. Similarly, I would not expect the Marrickville council to determine which night my bins are emptied.

Unless you have a nation-wide mandate, do not speak or take action on behalf of the Australian people!
Posted by MaNiK_JoSiAh, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 6:46:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

Firstly let me just say that:

I don't think anyone wants Israel "wiped off the map," as you put it.
But why is the world told to believe that the Palestinians should only accept peace on Israel's terms? And why is anyone who dares to criticise Israel subjected to abuse and threats? (You're either with us or against us). Neither side has a monopoly on suffering but only one side has the power to end the occupation and to recognise that
Israel and Palestine are historically destined to share the same homeland.

Secondly, as the Foreign Minister, Kevin Rudd said:

"The Australian Government has consistently supported a negotiated two-state solution to the Middle East peace process where Israel and a future Palestinian state live side by side in peace and security."

Therefore, state politicians should stay out of this area and not interfere in the Federal Government's policies. The Federal Government has made it quite clear that they prefer to support negotiations and engage in dialogue rather than support boycotts.
It would appear that the media does indeed have an agenda and is playing the issue up.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 7:32:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
During the Vietnam War, as the Union Movement became politiced against the War, Australia's Conservative Government of the day claimed that issues such as the War was nothing to do with Unions whose function was to limit their activity to wage & conditions issues.
The Union Movement coined the slogan "Peace is Union Business"

In the same spirit,the continued oppression of Palestinian Arabs by Zionist Israel is the business of every world citizen; particularly when our Government discriminates as to where they will defend Human Rights and turns a blind eye to the Crimes against Humanity being perpetrated against the Palestinians
Posted by maracas1, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 8:24:13 PM
If I had members of my family living in Gaza I might want my local council, MP, hairdresser and footy team to take up my cause, but that doesn’t mean they should.

Local authorities have no expertise in international affairs, and negligible capacity to influence them. They do have responsibility for a range of important human services, and as good stewards acting on behalf of their communities should focus on these areas. This doesn’t mean that as individuals they should not actively support the Palestinians, but it does mean they should do it in appropriate times and places. To compare people who respect these boundaries with Germans who failed to challenge Hitler is absurd.

I also think the author’s compassion seems selective. I agree that “the men, women and children of Palestine are human beings worthy of respect, and the violation of their human rights is something that should offend us all.” I believe that is also true of innocent Israelis bombed by Palestinians. And the people of Libya, Sierra Leone, North Korea, Southern Sudan, Iran, Cuba, Somalia and a host of other countries with human rights records that are worse than Israel’s.

I believe for local authorities to take up BDS is ineffectual moral vanity and grandstanding. The author says “we human beings are great at avoiding our responsibilities while maintaining an air of self-righteous virtuosity!” To my mind, that sums up his own position magnificently.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 8:50:44 PM
We only hear the argument that local councils should stay out of international affairs when it suits the Israel first lobby.

The shakedown of European banks during the 90s only worked because powerful US States like NY and counties like Orange county threatened to boycot any European bank that didn't pay up. Jewish groups got billions.

Boycots are not only a legitimate form of demonstration but a moral imperative. How can I buy good from Israeli businesses which then funnel funds into extremist settler groups?

And then we get the tired references to the holocaust. Andrew Bolt, who I actually support on many issues, even posted a picture of a Nazi boycott sign on a Jewish business during the 30s. I think people are getting a bit tired of the holocaust being trotted out whenever it suits the political goals of the Israel First lobby.

I would never vote Greens but fully support the boycott.
Posted by dane, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 9:24:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy