The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tax system that penalizes working & saving, and rewards borrowing & speculating > Comments

A tax system that penalizes working & saving, and rewards borrowing & speculating : Comments

By Saul Eslake, published 4/4/2011

It's time for negative gearing of investment housing as a tax deduction to go.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
SE says>>I am not sure I fully understand the point "rehctub" (butcher backwards?) is trying to make. However I would point out that the vast majority of properties bought by "negatively geared" investors are established dwellings, not new ones: ie, "negative gearing" does not do anything to increase the supply of new housing (and thus to reduce the housing shortage),

Well not quite true. The sellers of the 'old home' in most cases upgrade to a new home. Now if they buy another established home, then somewhere along the line, someone buys a new home.

Furthermore, are you trying to tell me that all of these rental units, being built in their tousands are for 'owner occupiers' and not investors. Yea, right!

The simple fact remains that if you take away the incentives for inestors to invest, then they stop investing. End result, an even worse housing shortage than we already have.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 8 April 2011 10:05:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy