The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kristina's killer heels start the march to the Opal Office > Comments

Kristina's killer heels start the march to the Opal Office : Comments

By Tess Lawrence, published 31/3/2011

Even her frenemies think Kristina's got the righ stuff, so why not inject it in at the highest level?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Tess Lawrence, today 9:57:27am

Thanks for the prompt response. My views on Kristina having a go at the US office was tongue in cheek - and a play on your use of 'the Opal office' as a goal for her.

I wonder if she would be a Republican anyway (her father might be). She certainly would be good for that stuffy institution!

Certainly the people are not the government, but I think the people expect better government than they are getting, worldwide. We might have some lessons to learn from our uprising cousins in North Africa, and part of the Middle East and recently the UK.
Posted by McReal, Thursday, 31 March 2011 10:25:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm with you McReal, and so intrigued at the way that people are protesting and marching in the streets in defiance of despotic and corrupt governments. For years dissenters in particular have been ridiculed and dismissed as conspiracy theorists, etc. One of the salient lessons learned through WikiLeaks is the horrible reality that in so many cases, our governments have been exposed as lying to us - and lying to one another. There were and are conspiracies. And far from being mere theories, many have now been exposed as Truth.
NB: Love your nickname.
Tess Lawrence
Posted by Tess Lawrence, Thursday, 31 March 2011 10:41:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Tess,

Good to see you putting up an opinion. That takes guts. I believe you when you say you have no particular political affiliation. I'm a liberal voter and onetime member of the Liberal Party.

I grew up in a Labor/Liberal home (Just about as difficult as the Anglican/Catholic religious practises of my parents. Yep I've seen it all ... and love truely can summount all!) and parts of my family had strong Labor affiliations for a few generations.

For the most part I think your opinion valid, however if Keneally wants a tilt at the PMship she'll need to do two things:

1. Form a new party because Labor is now a political rump in the community and according to Paul Keating's opinion, in NSW, finished. I'm assuming you've read his comments about Johnstone and are aware of his interview on the TV Tuesday night. I go further than Keating and opine because of it's links to the toxic NSW labor the Australian Labor Party is now dead.

2. Undergo a sexchange. Given how much of an absolute disaster Julia Gillard has been as PM, it will be a very very long time before the majority of Aussie voters will ever elect another woman PM.

Just in case you think my opinion sexist, it isn't. Just remember you've raised the issue and I'm discussing it.

Julia with her disgraceful backflipping on nearly everything she took to we the people at the last federal election has not only done a great disservice to genuine Labor people but also to Australian women.
Her still obvious reliance on spin is a hangover of the Knifed Kevvy and the NSW spinmiesters and it only compounds her disgrace.

Oh and a former Yank in the Lodge ... I don't think so ... it's an idea as odious as having a Pomme thinking they could possibly run Australia.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 31 March 2011 10:56:54 AM
I would have thought Labor might have had about enough of affirmative action. Every tilt at it has turned out catastrophic, both in the parliaments, & the public service.

I don't know very much about the lady in question, but I do know that making a good speech is no qualification for leadership. In fact I tend to believe it may indicate someone who is best avoided.

Obama speaks very well, as did Churchill. Obama is hopeless, & Churchill would have lost the war if some of his underlings had not sat on his head quite often. This may be one reason why I don't mind Abbott as much as many.

Still, as Keith says, it doesn't matter much, while she's in the same party as our red head. I doubt that Labor could elect a cricket team, by the time she gets the boot.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 31 March 2011 11:28:57 AM
@ Tess Lawrence, today 10:41:31am

Cheers.

"One of the salient lessons learned through WikiLeaks is the horrible reality that in so many cases, our governments have been exposed as lying to us - and lying to one another. There were and are conspiracies."

Wikileaks exposed the widespread lies behind the scenes, but we had inklings of lies in the big events, like Vietnam via Daniel Ellsberg; and we all smelt a rat with Saddam Hussein and supposed WMDs.

It seems to just become a game fostered by some weird organisational culture - in just about every jurisdiction.

Even at the recent Chillcott enquiry in the UK, Tony Blair admitted he did not fully discuss going into Iraq with his cabinet (and said something along the lines "they would have known what was going on from reading the papers". WTF??)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/2011/01/22/tony-blair-admits-keeping-cabinet-in-dark-about-iraq-invasion-plans-115875-22866635/

We have similar here with Abbott releasing policy last year on paid maternity leave without discussing it with his shadow cabinet; Rudd being a one man band (and increasingly dysfunctional one at that), shunning even Gillard and Swan; and then one wonders who Gillard discussed the carbon tax proposal with. Likewise her seemingly-off-the-cuff East Timor processing proposal.

Muppets, the lot of them.

One thing I read once that was quite fascinating was a commentary that the founder so the USA government system were influenced by the open and fair negotiating style of the native Nth American Indians.
Posted by McReal, Thursday, 31 March 2011 11:45:49 AM
It might be a good idea to see what her philosophy is towards the big issues before public opinion sweeps her into office. After all, public opinion is said to be the weathervane that politicians watch, though there must have been so much hot air above Canberra the day Kevin got the push that it was impossible to tell which was the real rooster.
Kristina K (hey, what's with all these Ks?)may have lots of nice kwalities (heh heh) but what would she do for the citizens of Libya right now? It's so obvious that people's rights mean nothing to politicians. It's trade and money and saving face that matters, not saving humans from a mad ruler.
And that's another thing. For Gawd's sake, let's have our wannabe PMs psychoanalysed so we don't end up with another Mugabe, Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi and the rest.
Posted by Polly Flinders, Thursday, 31 March 2011 1:10:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy