The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Church and state in NSW > Comments

Church and state in NSW : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 24/3/2011

On the eve of the NSW election, we should take note of the US experience with the religious right and Tea Party movements.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The godless corrupt Labour party has had nearly two decades in power and the best hate rant Jennidfer can come up with is against those with a few morals. She writes 'Now if the religious right would take a crack at fixing that they'd be doing something useful'We have seen the non religous left fail miserably at every turn and unable even to fix the roads and she has the audicity to make such snide remarks. Maybe if so many of the godless ministers had done the right thing the roads would be fixed. Oh that's right that does not fit Jennifers bigotted dogma.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 24 March 2011 3:41:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BPT, I'm struggling to find any part of your posts that aren't a logical fallacy. Nowhere do you seem to actually deal with any of the issues raised, nor attempt to make any two logical connections. Allow me to demonstrate.

Your first comment says atheists have killed many. That's true. So have Christians. This article doesn't mention genocide. Why are you talking about genocide?

The article indicates that they would like someone to focus on the poor state of the roads instead of 'moral' issues. Where does it say Christians are to blame for that?

You then talk about muslims who also don't like homosexuals or female sexuality. Why does that mean the author is incorrect when they say many Christians are also intolerant?

You also say that 'neo-conservative' is code for jew-lover in left wing circles. Which left wing circles? Aren't there also jewish left wing people? Isn't this a massive generalisation?

Because the ku-klux-clan hated Catholics, you basically say Ho Hum is wrong. How is this a logical connection?

With all due respect, BPT, isn't this hyperbole a little bit much? Ironically, the author states:

"The use of Palin's hysterical hyperbole (reminiscent of Australian shock jocks on the topic of refugees) to whip up mass emotional reactions against the Democrats has been linked to the assassination attempt on US congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford."

Whilst saying it's been linked is a bit vague and doesn't constitute a valid argument, I would agree the use of gun crosshairs was unnecessarily violent and the hyperbole was indeed damaging. You provide a fine example of such hyperbole. Yours is much more extreme and violent than the comments again Christians in the article, despite your protestations of Christian victimhood.

So BPT, allow me to make two suggestions:

1) Cut the hyperbole. It's tiresome and childish. The Ku Klux Klan, generalisations about 'left-wing circles' communists, genocide and Nazis are all extreme arguments and don't do anyone any favours.

2) Learn some basic critical reasoning. Here's a good place to start. You've committed a lot of the fallacies on this page already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logical_fallacies
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 24 March 2011 6:27:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner thank your god that your there dear! Now is there any chance you can ask her to do something about the roads?
Forget the fornigators and Oh! those terrible...terrible/// Oh!dear must I say the word ? Oh! I suppose I must!! Homosexuals....There again maybe they can fix the roads.....as many of them have!
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 24 March 2011 9:22:39 PM
Maybe the 'religious right' provides a good counter-balance to the left policies of proselytizing atheists, overbearing gay lobbyists, and bleeding-heart green moralists ("Save the whales, but feel free to slaughter the elderly, sick and unborn"). Let's thank God that we can argue our personal views within this glorious, free country. Welcome to a thriving democracy!
Posted by MaNiK_JoSiAh, Thursday, 24 March 2011 10:56:41 PM
ok church and n.s.w , many vicy=tims were under care under church childrens homes , and also state goverment church run childrens homes and state institutional childrens homes,

when are they all going to be held accountable and charged for the crimes we victms suffered as children , such as rape abuse starvation depriaty, ,

all departments of the church and of the state goverment run church homes still cover up about thhese crimes till this day,

99% per cent of victims are from these organisations,
and many victims still suffer till this day because of the cover up and coruption of us victims who suffered rape abuse starvation, and slavery , and sodimisation, , and we still fight for our justice,
till this day.

at least
Posted by huffnpuff, Friday, 25 March 2011 5:57:08 AM
All politicians, or those in public office, come to that position with their particular world view and beliefs. Some move beyond these, or keep them in check, but I would argue these are in the minority. We are all very much shaped by what we believe, what we hold to be true and what we feel we should defend. Many go into politics so they can do this very thing.

My question is this - why single out one group, in this case Christians, at the expense of others? What about (in no particular order) the anti parking meter party (yes, they exist), the nudists, the Greens, anti nuclear, anti Israel, pro Israel, etc, etc, etc.

Christians have no more, and no less, right to have their views represented at the political level.
Posted by rational-debate, Friday, 25 March 2011 11:03:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy