The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Round one – a price on carbon > Comments

Round one – a price on carbon : Comments

By Sophie Trevitt, published 15/3/2011

Conservative forces failed on Saturday to prove their rhetoric of a 'people's revolution' against a carbon tax.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Poor naiive Sophie,

You fail to realise in your unthinking, sheep-like, dogmatic pursuit of every fashionable left wing cause that the reason there were fewer people "hitting the streets" against the carbon tax is that those likely to be opposing it (read: those employed people with any income whatsoever that are of any use) have far more important, practical things to be doing than starting a meaningless, inconsequential and largely unnoticed rally for every pathetic cause under the sun. Not everyone can be a single, unemployed dole-bludging nuisance.

As I'm sure you've been told countless times, you WILL grow out of it - it is a phase all too common to students of your age across this country. Once you've calmed down a bit, gotten together something of a life for yourself, and have gained substantial employement I guarantee you all of this sad, woefully self-important and by and large completely ignored youth activism will all go out the window and you will, as most people with a life do, become more concerned with caring for your own interests and those of the people important to you.

I suppose having an overblown opinion of the importance of "youth climate change coalitions", "rallies for _____" and other little games that youngsters in university have always liked to play, as well as supporting myriad causes that give rise to the whittling away of individual liberties to the numerous "UN" bureaucracies that you have blind faith in can be excused for now, as in the not too distant future, you will find it all as irrelevant, sad, and downright amusing as the rest of us do.
Posted by 30410, Wednesday, 16 March 2011 11:41:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Leo,
I'm not a troll, nor am I a scientist - I'm an ordinary person with a point of view - no need to get nasty!

As far as I'm aware, most scientists believe global warming is happening and it is manmade. I believe in the precautionary principle - that if there is a reasonable chance our behaviour is affecting the climate, then we should do our best to modify our behaviour. I really don't want my life turned up-side-down by this - I'd much prefer it if I could keep living as I am now. But if it is happening, then let's just get on with it, and face it now rather than later! We've delayed for decades, we can't keep putting it off.

BTW I wasn't referring to acid rain, but ocean acidification, caused by oceans absorbing carbon to form carbonic acid which could threaten plankton, corals, oysters etc - these tiny creatures are an important part of the food chain. Our fisheries are already in trouble. I don't even eat fish, but I know lots of people around the world depend on seafood to survive - it would be great if we could make sure their kids can access plenty of fish.

I'm not afraid of being thought a fool, or being wrong. Can you say the same?
Posted by BJelly, Wednesday, 16 March 2011 1:25:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BJelly, thanks for your reply.

Identifying you as a troll was based on an assumption, which you tell me is wrong.

You would know, better than I, whether my assumption is correct. You tell me that it is not, so I accept that.

It is not a matter of great import, from my point of view, as I consider, that our lives, and in fact the whole of life consists of trial and error.

In fact, a great Intuitive said words to the effect: “In human progress, error is as important as Truth”.

It is a basic tenet to me now, having digested that observation. If I recognise an error, into which I have fallen, I rethink. It is the same pattern as repentance of sin. Failure to rethink, or failure to repent, is unproductive, and, often, damaging.

Error in itself is not reprehensible.

Some AGW supporters, may not have the opportunity to recognise their error, and should not be condemned for it, but people like the Climategate miscreants, trained scientists who deliberately promote error are not in that category.

I accept that you are. I would recommend Robert Carter’s book, “Climate: the Counter Consensus”, if you want a brief and honest summary of the situation.

Best wishes.
Posted by Leo Lane, Wednesday, 16 March 2011 9:04:06 PM
Thanks Leo!
Posted by BJelly, Thursday, 17 March 2011 9:05:20 AM
Got this yesterday. Can't help thinking it's to do with all the drilling, bomb tests & letting of natural gas.

The volcanic eruption in
Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS,
NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to
control CO2 emissions on our planet, all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are
trying to suppress, that vital chemical compound that every plant requires
to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all
animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the
carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the
inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery
bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution"
science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies,
using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet
tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home
instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing
all of your 50 cents light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs...well, all of
those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four
days
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 March 2011 9:35:14 AM
The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just
four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally
erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon.
And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out
this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.
I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I
should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the
Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the
atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on
earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year, think
about it.
Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging
moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the
well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep
happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate
change.
And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud
but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western
USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce
carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens
every year
Posted by individual, Saturday, 19 March 2011 9:36:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy