The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multiculturalism – what the figures really mean > Comments

Multiculturalism – what the figures really mean : Comments

By Graham Cooke, published 10/3/2011

Racism is relative, but even with the best relativities in Australia it is still shocking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Lego

In relation to a few tens of thousand of years of human civilisation, it is only in relatively recent years that all races have stopped brutalising their own or others of the same "race". Sometime and somewhere early in that mix European Homo sapiens were mating with another species, Homo neanderthalensis.

In recent centuries, burning at the stake was a common event, particularly for women. Most people escaping Europe to colonise America, Australia and New Zealand were escaping brutality by other Europeans.

The Aborigines of Australia were, and probably still are, a variety of different nations spread around the Australian coast, as diverse as Europeans from Portugal to Poland were and are.

You take the cake for generalisation and blatant racism.
Posted by McReal, Friday, 11 March 2011 6:20:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Mr McReal

Australians are often accused of racism, and my reply is “name any country or ethnic group who is not racist.?” The very act of having a border to your country is an act of racism, as it discriminates between citizens and non citizens, and is usually the traditional border between different ethnic groups, religions and cultures.

Racism can be defined by the concept that one race is superior to another, andI think that this concept is valid. Human beings come in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes, which simply reflects the evolutionary idea that species will evolve characteristics which give them an advantage within the local environments in which they evolved. Hey, even I will admit that black skin gives an advantage to black people in the tropics as regards to solar protection.

But the noun “racism” seems to have morphed into something completely different from its original form. Its meaning has been extended to denounce those who express their contempt of other social groups, be they ethnic, religious, or national. The word “racism” is being used by the UN, and the motley collection of Human Rights and Anti Discrimination QANGOS in state and federal governments, to prosecute people who verbally criticize their favoured minority groups.

I find this to be illogical. To begin with, I can be called a “racist” if I attack Muslims or the Muslim religion, even though Muslims are not “a race”. This because the state anti discrimination boards also claim to protect “belief systems.”

But isn’t Nazism or Racism a “belief system” also? Yet by some application of Doublethink, anti racists will viciously attack anybody who criticizes the wearing of a burkha, yet would scream abuse themselves at anybody walking down the street wearing a swastika armband.

Mr McReal, under this increasingly popular new definition of “racism” that has been promoted by the anti racists people themselves, everybody is now a racist. Because every one of us identifies groups of people we do not like, and who values, attitudes and behaviours we hold in contempt.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 11 March 2011 12:47:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mac

and others

I really REALLY REEEAALY! wish the exponents of "multiculturalism" would, JUST FOR ONCE, explain what they mean!
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 11 March 2011 1:52:22 PM
"The very act of having a border to your country is an act of" ... statehood or sovereignty or both.

I agree that "Racism can be defined by the concept that one race is superior to another"

Yes, "Human beings come in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes" ... which simply reflects the evolutionary idea that the human species has diversified, with some of that phenotypic diversity reflecting characteristics which give some races an adaptive advantage within the local environments in which they have been settled. Some variation in characteristics do not seem to confer advantage or disadvantage.

Attacking or vehemently criticising a [different] religion is not racism; it is spiritual abuse.

Nazism or racism are not necessarily belief systems - the former is a doctrine, that included racism, the latter is a dogma.
Posted by McReal, Friday, 11 March 2011 3:43:27 PM
stevenlmeyer, Fri 11 Mar, 1:52:22 PM

I'm not sure multiculturalism is pushed for the sake of it. It just happens.

We all enjoy various aspects of various cultures. Fish'n'chips is a result of Jewish culture meeting UK culture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips#History.

Food, dancing, drinks have become universal from various cultural origins.
Posted by McReal, Friday, 11 March 2011 6:07:39 PM
Dear Mr McReal

The denigration of Muslims is usually labeled as “racism” in everyday speech and in every newspaper. I repeat my self evident premise that the meaning of the word “racism” has been expanded by people such as your good self to signify the contempt of religious groups. But if you refuse to accept that, then there is no point continuing down that track.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but the way I read your last post, it appeared you agree with me that genetic variations produced by evolutionary forces have given some ethnicities advantages within the local environments that they evolved in. If you believe that, then you are tacitly admitting that some ethnic groups have genetic characteristics that give them superior characteristics in order to survive in the environments in which they evolved. Claiming that any national, race or ethnic group has superior genetic material is racism. You must be a racist. Good boy. Welcome to the club.

Lastly, you claim that Nazism is not a belief system. Well if Nazism is not a belief system, then neither is Islam. Could I remind you that both Islam and Nazism hate the Jews? And both Hitler and Mohammad claimed that people who were not of their particular religious or racial group were sub human? In addition, both Hitler and Mohammad instructed their followers to spread their faith by making war upon their neighbours.

Although, If I had to pick which one was worse, I would have to choose Islam. Even Hitler did not instruct his followers to beat their wives, nor did he order that Nazis should be offensive to non Nazis in everyday life, nor the were Nazis noted for murdering former Nazis who turned their backs on Nazism.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 11 March 2011 6:26:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy