The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The girl who kicked the AFL > Comments

The girl who kicked the AFL : Comments

By Evelyn Tsitas, published 10/3/2011

Attitudes to the 'St Kilda School' girl depend on what sort of pants you wear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
This is more a very sad event really, and the girl needs a responsible adult to take her aside and tell a few home truths about forging a life that has some meaning and not wasting her time on revenge on a few footballers. Corey Worthington would be opening a new fashion or music store if he had done same Houlley. :P

Both equally as narcissistic and both equally troubling. What sort of behaviour is the media fostering or 'rewarding' with this constant attention to the LCD?

I am happy to say I agree with JamesH for once on the role of the media in the gender wars.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 10 March 2011 4:34:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read the article twice, trying to look for a bit of common sense in it. I couldn't find any.

As far as I can tell, the only one who abused power - indeed, the only one who had power in this situation - was the girl herself. She carried out several despicable acts:
1) Lying about her age
2) Lying about her pregnancy
3) Stealing photos
4) Lying about the context in which the photos were taken
5) Deliberately using those photos to cause harm to another person.

Now I have very little tolerance for sportsmen who use their status as a means of enhancing their promiscuity, but only one party here set out to maliciously harm another person. That was the girl, in case you're wondering.

The players involved have managed to develop a sort of martyr status, while she has succeeded in causing harm. Sadly, at the tender age of 17, she has caused irreparable damage to herself. What man in his right mind would engage in a relationship with her? What employer in his/her right mind would employ her, given her tendency towards vindictiveness, sensationalism and dishonesty? Still a teenager, and more damage to overcome than most of us will have in our lives.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 10 March 2011 10:00:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A link to Jezabel, a popular feminist website, to show how feminists really think. When a 30yo female teacher's aid sleeps with a 15yo boy it's fine because he 'hit on her' and was 'sexually experienced'.

The hypocracy would be laughable if feminists weren't funded by millions of our tax dollars. No talk of 'power imbalance' or 'girls club' or 'boys kicking up a hornets nest' here.

And our female PM, supported by our female G-G, is now setting up another tax payer funded girls club to ensure that our companies are employing enough girls on boards. Just what we need.

http://jezebel.com/#!5779110
Posted by dane, Thursday, 10 March 2011 11:27:50 PM
I should be clear, I'm talking about some of the comments above.
Posted by dane, Thursday, 10 March 2011 11:34:52 PM
Surely you notice the massive double standard though pelican.

It amuses me because I would think the ideal of feminism would be for women to be sexually liberated, and for the patronising paternalistic attitude to women in society be rejected. Well! Not so! When it comes to sex and alcohol, it seems even the 'liberated' woman is never sexually aggressive, and even if she is, it's up to a man to tap her on the head sober her up with a cuppa, and tuck her in to bed alone to save her from herself. Or maybe it's just that a woman, while being able to vote and work and do all sorts of things, isn't really mature enough to handle sex until she's 30. Then again even if she's over 30, it appears group sex (Bulldogs NRL affair) could never have been her idea.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is ever any situation that a woman is ever considered in a position of power. Everything in the world really is all men's fault. I suppose if a woman was ever accepted to be in a position of power, that would mean she had some responsibility. Cant have that!

So, no matter how liberated a woman wants to become, with feminism, when any sexual encounter is the responsibility of the man, women can never really be liberated. Look at all this 'sexualising' and 'objectification', the assumption being that women expressing themselves through sex or being depicted in a sexual way is dangerous. It can only be so dangerous because

a) All men are rapists
b) feminists cant accept sexually assertive or aggressive women.

'they did meet her at a school'
Did they 'meet' her, or were they giving a presentation to a group of 50 kids. I wonder how many people have 'met' these players, and how many they could recognise or name a week later.

She met them 3 months later, and judging by the fact she travelled interstate to 'meet' them, I think they left more of an impression on her than she on them.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 11 March 2011 7:58:30 AM
Houllie

Many teenaged girls (and ex teenaged girls) report that their brothers had more freedom, in regards to parties, drinking, staying out late etc. The attitude seems to be that young ladies need more protection and the same attitude is on display here. Four things have happened to this particular young lady. She has behaved disgracefully and been criticised, she has had sex and she has had her heart broken. All of these experiences are simply a part of life, yet some people seem to think that they are catastrophies that she should have been protected from. The people kicking up a stink really should know better.
Posted by benk, Friday, 11 March 2011 6:49:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy