The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Doing nothing is preferable to this > Comments

Doing nothing is preferable to this : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 3/3/2011

The government's proposed carbon tax will make us economic losers and environmental hypocrites.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Geoff makes an intriging point, which I had not previously considerd, when he says that there is no guarantee that major polluters will do anything about emissions, simply because carbon is taxed.

In fact that may well be right for the big electricity generators. All they may do is pass on the price of the carbon tax. Although electricity prices are still regulated at the state level (depending on the state), those regulatory bodies are not meant to be telling the generators to save carbon. Extra cost? Okay, you can pass it on.

Now that I think about it, what a waste of time and money.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 3 March 2011 10:38:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Doing nothing is preferable... to whom?

To us, ordinary Australians, of course it is, no need for such a long article to prove it, but to Julia? quite contrary!
She needs all the money she can get to fund her pet NBN and she needs it now. If she could get away with it, she would rob a bank and take all our savings (and actually, she may still do just that!).

So whether it is that,

The climate is changing;
The Martians are invading;
The planets are in ill-conjuction;
A monkey was born with three heads...

Whatever the pretext, any time, rain or shine, is a good time to take our money and give it to her mates in the NBN.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 3 March 2011 12:41:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with individual, relying on the parliamentarians and putting up with them over the last forty years have made us losers, and it is our own fault. We may want to prevent global warming, but you'd have to be an optimist to believe that the presentation offered, will do anything except increase costs of everything, without achieving anything else. If you have seen anything over the last forty years that have improved our living conditions or the economy, I would like to hear it. Irrespective of which of the two parties is in government, they have both proved to be failures, and it is time they were dumped, surely a party with integrity can be organised and got into power. Unfortunately there are a number of fanatics who will keep screaming that “My party is great”, even when it dumps the economy back into recession for about the fourth or fifth time.
Posted by merv09, Thursday, 3 March 2011 2:19:31 PM
how many times
have we seen/heard these words..

""greenhouse gas emissions""

please NOTE

there are MANY greenhouse gas-ES
carbon is the least bad

far worse is methane
released from composting ..and when mining coal
or from poor coal-seam gas colection..
from coal-seam gas wells

[but thats not being taxed]

far worse is laughing gas[nitrous oxide]
produced by nitrates ..during farming
that releases one third ..as nitrous oxide
WHENEVER/WHEREVER its put onto the farm's dirt

BUT THATS NOT BEING TAXED

we get told its cheaper to 'do it now'
but is it cheaper..to tax the wRONG GAS?
is it cheaper to fix the wrong GREENHOUSE GASSES?

solar cells need to be cleaned..
WITH A WORSE GREENHOUSE gas
than either carbon or methane or nitricoxide

WE ARE BEING CONNED
by economists needing more cash
that want a new coommodity to trade in
to speculate the price up...while govt mandates
an ever lower limit..[per-mit]..of carbon credits..they own..!

when they corner the market
will their franchise [carbon credits]
rise or fall in price?

think about it

we hear of carbon in cold water
we hear the oceans are warning
[warm water holds LESS carbon]
is thus less acidic

besides the ocean if full of chalk[calcides]
recall your science...calcided reduce acidity
the oceans can regulate acid..automaticly..
with calcides..the oceans full of it

whatever aspect we look at
ITS A C0N..!
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 3 March 2011 3:20:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have to agree with Clownfish (and the sentiments of many others) all that this will do is drive prices of many consumer items up. The behaviour of the generators probably won't change (why should it?) and the "lunatic fringe" chalk up a win which, without a minority government, would never have come their way.
On a side issue, I note that Mr Xenephon has "struck a deal" (for that read, "reached some sort of sweethearted concession") with the government which will probably see the flood levy passed. Never mind the validity of the levy for a moment, the issue here is that once again a "minority" interest has "negotiated" a sweet deal to allow our elected minority government to get its proposals across the line. This isn't the version of democracy that I voted for - a few loonies pushing their respective barrows and getting whatever they want if they agree to say "yes" to something. This isn't right is it?
Cheers
Greg
Posted by Radar, Thursday, 3 March 2011 3:21:04 PM
one under god.. although I'm relutant to stir you up, um, you realised that the concentrations of methane in the atmosphere have not increased substantially since about the turn of the century.. see the NOAA monitoring site.. http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/aggi/

CO2 concentrations are increasing, but methane is basically out of the global warming picture now, as even the IPCC 2007 report agrees. A section in the report discusses why concentrations haven't been inceasing, without coming to any conclusion..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 3 March 2011 3:52:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy