The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racism increasing in modern Australia > Comments

Racism increasing in modern Australia : Comments

By Lucas Walsh, published 2/3/2011

Disharmony about the treatment of migrants and refugees sends the wrong message to youth

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
We once had a good policy of taking in victims of wars in Asia, Europe and Africa. It was responsible and orderly. No one objected because no one felt threatened. Why couldnt our leaders have adopted a sterner policy towards the influx from Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and Bangladesh? Why wqerent the same conditions applied? Why couldnt they have been returned to holding centres with assurances that their applications would receive just and fair attention when their turn came. If there is a limit to the number we resettle each year then when the African staging centres were emptied then we could have given our attention to those from the countries previously named. I do not support the alternative of sending them back to the country they came from but we should have been fair to everyone. Why were we so gutless and weak kneed and submitted so meekly?
We have sown dragon's teeth and now will have to face the prospect of suffering the consequence.
What consequence?
Listen to the hate ranting of the mad mullahs and imams, one of whom didnt take long before he conspired to begin a bombing campaign in which thousands of innocent Australians would have been massacred. Now tell me I'm lying and making up stories and I shall invite you to examine the proof from the trials in the courts in NSW and Victoria not all that long ago.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Wednesday, 2 March 2011 8:01:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The xenophobia, racism and lack of compassion expressed in most comments to date tend to confirm the author's argument.
Posted by RobinDavis, Thursday, 3 March 2011 2:27:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author wrote a pretty good article. It is amazing that some people, who clearly failed to make the cut in academia, exhibit so much jealousy towards academics. I'm not sure what to say about individuals like that.
Posted by David Jennings, Thursday, 3 March 2011 11:22:00 AM
What a smug self satisfied peanut you must be David Jennings. Could not make the cut. With the huge expansion of the sector in the last 20 years, it only requires 2 Kellogs Cornflakes packet tops to get a job in academia.

Strangely I have heard of people failing to make it as a taxi driver, but not as an academic. I wonder what that means?
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 3 March 2011 12:16:55 PM
Absolutely. It is better to be self satisfied and smug than to be embittered and unfulfilled. Not sure about the cornflakes bit though, qualifications creep has hit academia, and anyway, its more trendy to eat muesli. I could make a joke there about cornflakes and monoculture as opposed to muesli and multiculturalism. But I suspect that the wit might sail past some.
Posted by David Jennings, Thursday, 3 March 2011 12:51:12 PM
People like Davis are a misfit in a forum such as this. They expect everyone to stand in awe of academics as if to say: When I ope my lips let no dogs bark."

Well, Davis,old smuggy, find another forum.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Thursday, 3 March 2011 4:22:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy