The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tony needs to step up > Comments

Tony needs to step up : Comments

By Dilan Thampapillai, published 28/2/2011

Why a generally Labor-voting academic is now voting Liberal and Tony Abbott.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Being an academic with a perfect "educational background" doesn't help if you don't want to know the truth.

Both sides of politics now carefully avoid a discussion about multiculturalism. A debate, that in my opinion is overdue in Australia. No public debate about multiculturalism involving Islam leads to a lack of knowledge about this ideology/religion. Without this knowledge politicians are unable to make the right decisions.

From a liberal politician it is to be expected that he stands up for the freedom of speech.

Tony Abbott called Cory Bernardi back from a discussion about Islam. This makes him unfit as a leader of the Liberal Party.
Posted by secular, Monday, 28 February 2011 2:54:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'll also put my hand up as a formerly rusted-on, fourth-generation Labor supporter, who is simply too disgusted by the modern Labor party to let myself be an electoral doormat any more.

The Greens? I may find one or two of their policies congenial, but their obsession with destructive, nonsensical climate change policies, and their overarching statist, totalitarian political philosophy sickens me.

Having spent years chiming in the party-political chorus of derision of Tony Abbott the Mad Monk, I was quite surprised, when I began looking at what he has actually said and done in his career, to find a person quite different from the rabid, neo-con caricature of conventional wisdom.

Notwithstanding that there is much I dislike about the Liberal party, at the moment they are very much the lesser of three evils.
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 28 February 2011 4:56:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
clownfish,

dare to be different! Join the Liberal party. You might be surprised at how well they actually fit you.
Posted by keith, Monday, 28 February 2011 6:54:27 PM
keith, are we at the part where you cut off my hand in a lightsaber duel, then tell me that you're my father?

'Noooooooooooooooooooo!'

:)
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 28 February 2011 9:06:28 PM
I have no time for academics.

I am a B Sc. but have led a very different life to most. Due to this life, I have gained a great deal of knowledge, in 3 very small areas. Every time I hear an academic talking about these areas I find a fool talking rubbish. It does make me worry about going into hospital, I must admit.

In the 60s I built the most successful engine Oz motor racing had seen. It finished second in it's first race, & then won it's class in every race it ran for the next 2 years.

Some time later I ran into one of my favourite professors. When I told him of some of the things I had done with that engine, he must have thought I was talking of a dream, not history. He told me my ideas would never work.

When I came back from 7 years in the islands, where I spent a lot of time studying the remains of WW11 constructions, & war wrecks, & building small jetties for little 120Ft cargo boats for atoll based plantations, I thought some engineering & marine biology academics would be interested in what I'd found.

I had found some unexpected results of corrosion products on marine borers, among other things. When I mentioned this to some Townsville based academics, they couldn't get away quickly enough. They seemed frightened that I might say something they had to take seriously. I can only guess they didn't want anything factual interfere with their nice theoretical lives.

It would do the Labor party much good to remember that the best PM they have produced was a train driver. Wouldn't do the other mob too much harm to think on it, either.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 28 February 2011 9:29:35 PM
Knowledge gap is true and key, especially in regional areas.

Knowledge is also important for an innovative society, if they use what they know, work together rather then use their competitive 'conquer & divide' primitive selves to dominate all opportunities.

Heard a true innovative interview on ABC 666 today about what we miss out on due to 'food regulations' that cut-out the local production of food, compared to local markets in say Spain and France. We eat their imported products but are not allowed to produce our own due to the cost benefit adversity under present regulations. An example of clinical, mindless contradictions, lack of business knowledge and intelligence where the wrong types of minds rule the roost.

Knowledge is key, and innovation needs an environment that is creative and transformative.

Is there hope for the Liberal Party? Not under the present leadership. I see Abbott and this party as an example of how not to lead, where the goal appears to be about attracting the worst out of people, to get points.

God help us all, else the shrew be the one to send us all to calamity, saving gifts to short to conceal himself...
Posted by miacat, Monday, 28 February 2011 9:48:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy