The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Closing the Gap' Gillard style > Comments

'Closing the Gap' Gillard style : Comments

By Michelle Harris, published 17/2/2011

Gillard’s characterisation of the problem is grossly unfair to Aboriginal people and demonstrably inaccurate

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Geoff Davies: you do yourself no favours by repeating the leftie argument that the intervention was to get land for the miners. The greens dont agree nor do the ALP or Libs. The intervention was to try and stop abuse and a variety of other serious social problems. it was a harsh solution to a major problem. I applaud Howard in doing it and Labor in supporting and continuing it.
Posted by longweekend58, Thursday, 17 February 2011 9:44:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow, did Gillard actually get something right at last? Wonders will never cease.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 17 February 2011 9:53:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
longweekend58: I thought so too, but then I realised I've never been given such a choice: To completely reject the friends, family and culture I grew up with...to join the "invaders".
Somehow the choice must be made less stark...but how?
It is very frustrating when you realise most attempts to "fix" make things worse...doing nothing just extends the shameful situation. It's all very well to claim that "in the long term" ancient ways of life must modernise...quite another to deal with real people on the ground.
I'm currently working in the Sth Pacific and there are similar issues with indigenous cultures there. Aid gives hope...but also makes some problems worse. Too tricky for anything simple to work.
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:02:36 AM
For someone who can be removed from office purely by reason of her gender with simple majorities of Australia's parliaments rescinding or suspending legislation which enfranchised women in the first place, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has some gall calling for indigenous people "to respect good social norms and to respect the law"
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/pms-closing-the-gap-speech-on-indigenous-australia-in-full/story-fn59niix-1226002750396. Ms Gillard should guarantee Australian women exactly the same tenure as men before inviting others to participate in her governance.
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:11:25 AM
" And Indigenous people know that when the child starts attending school ... when the drinker stops abusing alcohol ... when the adult takes the job that is there ... then change begins." somewhat cherrypicked by the author, but that's not unusual when reaching for emotive sentiment.
Did she really say that ?
Well, good on her. All she has to do now is to get the do-gooders in line & I'll start listening.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:23:18 AM
"the starting point might be to recognise that the problem starts with us non-Aboriginal Australians".
Gavin,
He was referring to himself but never practiced what he preached.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:25:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy