The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Residents in flood-prone areas must be better prepared, or shifted > Comments

Residents in flood-prone areas must be better prepared, or shifted : Comments

By Willem Vervoort, published 14/1/2011

There are too many problems with dams for them to be an effective agent of flood mitigation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
sarnian,
yes the pontoon boats would work as long as the tide is up. My friend sent me photos of those houses, they're either hydraulically or mechanically controlled. The problem there is for the government because should they charge boat registration or issue lift permits to get extra revenue ? Temporary water frontage land tax could also be charged. The possibilities for government to make money are endless.
I 'd say build a house on cement stumps so that the floor level is a metre above 1974 levels. That way the dwelling stays dry & the flow of water will be easier. Even better would be to gradually move new or expanding suburbs onto higher ground. Also, creating alternative catchment has to be created no matter what. Such catchment could be for industrial or recreational use.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 January 2011 1:16:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sarnian, do you think that the stuff I used to install a tourist facility, on the outer barrier reef, way back in the mid 70s would be those moorings you're talking about. It's still there, so those moorings must have been OK, & have been well maintained, or it wouldn't have survived cyclones.

Of course, that instillation did not have neighbours causing strange currents, or have to contend with other poorly installed units coming free & attacking it. Just imagine some dozens of those chunks of walkway coming down the river.

Individual has the right idea. Things on stilts don't offer too much resistance or restriction to flow. The more solid stuff in the way, the higher the flood is going to go before it gets away.

There were suggestions by some engineers while it was being built, that the pylons of the gateway bridge, would cause enough restriction to river flow, to make any future Brisbane floods up to a metre higher. It will be interesting to see if any such suggestions are made, after the fact of a flood to show any problems.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 16 January 2011 6:48:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why have Councils allowed new homes to be built in known flood areas?

From the TV footage it appears that a lot of the flooded homes are recently built. There have been maps showing flood areas available for years and councils have had the authority to prohibit building in flood areas, so why were they built.

In the case of Brisbane, where the last major flood was in 1974, it seems incredible that homes have been built below the 74 flood line.

This article suggests that council hid the information and approved housing subdivisions knowing they were below flood level.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/alarming-report-on-brisbane-river-risks-covered-up/story-fn7ik8u2-1225987231243

I feel so sorry for those people that bought blocks not knowing they were below flood level. One retired builder has suggested that 30%-40% of the flooded homes were built since 74.

A cynical person would think that there was graft and corruption between developers and councils.

Wonder if an inquiry will cover this aspect or will it be covered up?

For those talking about global warming. Just recall a few years ago the alarmists were warning that the drought would last forever and we would have to get used to having no or little rain. Guess the drought is now broken.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 16 January 2011 8:17:28 PM
graft and corruption between developers and councils.
Banjo,
that & saturation incompetence. I see this everyday in my work. Because of stupid Government policy every construction by Council or Govt. Department has to be via approval of consulting engineers. I'm not saying that all engineering consultants are not worth their weight in sand but a great percentage are. I just had to witness a job which with the consultants' involvement cost some 115 percent more than the very same job last year without the consultants. Now that is taxpayers money which the Government insists to be wasted like this. Imagine how much more could be achieved if only a few ounces of common sense could be engaged.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 January 2011 9:44:23 PM
Climate change - serpent change, this weather was predicted, but the troops were too infatuated with their own public image to worry about the detail... And please don't give me this, crisis on crisis green labor crap, any more.
Posted by Dallas, Sunday, 16 January 2011 10:52:03 PM
One needs to address the issues facing Indigenous people who have lost everything in the floods.

Bundaberg and Cherbourg have the worst recovery centre workers in the country when it comes to their attitude towards Indigenous people.

I know some Indigenous families who have lost all the furniture and goods and was refused help in Bundaberg.

The recovery centre workers attitude towards Indigenous people is the same as one would expect from Centre-link staff, Councillors or members of the KKK.
Posted by Ngaragul, Monday, 17 January 2011 9:21:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy