The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Extremism is more strongly rooted in Pakistan than we thought > Comments

Extremism is more strongly rooted in Pakistan than we thought : Comments

By Lisa Curtis, published 11/1/2011

Pakistan President Zardari has rightly defended the legacy of martyred Governor Salman Taseer

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
what about extremism in America? plenty of examples besides Arizona.
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 11 January 2011 10:03:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shrode - The difference between the extremism in Pakistan and Arizona is that the man who killed congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords will be treated as having done the wrong thing and be punished.

It is the freedom of the right to dissent or question and speak your mind that is the huge issue here. Blasphemy laws are essentially a law that allows no one to disagree with a few Mullahs and their personal interpretation of the Koran. If we were to apply those same blasphemy laws in Australia we could effectively kill those Muslims who recently stated they didn’t believe Jesus was the son of God but a prophet. A few centuries ago the Christian church did have these same strict laws regarding Blasphemy. The Catholic Church had a group that went around exposing blasphemers (heretics)This group was called the Inquisition. They also tortured people to confess and burned witches at the stake. This is why this sort of blasphemous law sends shudders down the spines of western nations who are glad to be free of this kind of religious persecution.

This kind of non permission to question could have had the whole world still believing the Earth is the centre of the Universe and not the Sun. You do know the story of how the Catholic Clerics in the Inquistion told the Italian scholar Galileo to stop saying that the Earth wasn’t the centre of the Universe as their religion stated and when he had the audacity to actually publish a book in 1632 pointing out the truth of it, they imprisoned him for the rest of his life. Most people in the west do know this story.

Why do you think these Mullahs and Clerics fight so hard to keep the people in a non questioning state. Just trace the food and money trail that these Clerics receive, it leads straight back to the people who believe, who pay them for services and for fear of Allahs wrath
Posted by CHERFUL, Tuesday, 11 January 2011 7:39:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now here’s a depressing observation.

When I read Lisa Curtis’ article I guessed I would find a comment equating Pakistan and the US on the basis that there were assassinations in both countries.

Guess what?

I was right.

How about that?

I won’t repeat what CHERFUL said. He? She? has explained the differences very well. The sad thing is, and this is no reflection on you CHERFUL, that the differences needed explaining.

I shall confine myself to the issues raised by Lisa Curtis.

For those of us who have been following events in Pakistan the reaction to the assassination comes as no surprise. On the contrary, any other reaction would have surprised me.

What does NOT surprise me is the reaction of the Leftie media.

Quote from the BBC:

>>Five hundred scholars from the moderate (sic) Barelvi sect of Sunni Muslims have warned that anyone who expresses grief over the [Salman Taseer] assassination could suffer the same fate.>>

I quoted from this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12116764

But if you clink on the link today you’ll find that the quote is no longer there!

It’s gone.

It’s like Trotsky being airbrushed out of photographs after he fell out of favour with Stalin.

This is how the Left deludes itself about the nature of Pakistani society.

When it comes to Pakistan there really are three, and ONLY three, questions worth discussing.

(1) What do we do about the nukes?

(2) What do we do about the nukes?

(3) What do we do about the nukes?

When it comes to Pakistant the nukes overshadow everything else.

I have a feeling I can guess how some people will react to this post.
Posted by lentaubman, Tuesday, 11 January 2011 9:32:02 PM
lentaubmen,

Yes, it is depressing. And now we have Lebanon with the resignations of 10 ministers opposing the investigation into the assassinated President. Hezbollah. Why the frickin so called progressives ignore the realities, I'll never understand. What do they really want? Are they just blindly optimistic or brainwashed by PC and self hatred? Oh the inanity of comparing the US and Pakistan. I can't believe the ignorance/denial in our society that is happening with the deluded. There are so many living in fantasy land. We are becoming more and more devisive. There is a really weird psychology happening in Western countries.

I consider myself a libertarian/classical liberal or recently found a new goody description - South Park Conservative - all very similar I think. Otherwise, normal (has logical sense of reality).
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 13 January 2011 9:50:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy