The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can Western nations remain fair and affluent? > Comments

Can Western nations remain fair and affluent? : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 6/1/2011

Western societies will have to think that much harder if they want to remain affluent, equitable or even influential.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
The system is quite simple to understand;
There are Tax payers and then there are people who live of those taxes , and if by any definition it is argued to be a wealth distribution is nonsensical ; Working Poor is another Ideological fire brand ; Why are they Poor and working ;

They ,like many , pay more taxes from income than it is their means of income to live ; It would be reasonable to assume that there exists a fiscal handicap of about (conservatively ) 45% of Tax paid is consumed by The State Minions before One single dollar even if it is distributed to the supposed welfare recipient;

Who in turn lives better off than that of the Low income working poor who had been relieved of his limited resource by the State?
And now the State created mendicancy relies on the State, because it pays more than what they can earn; just remember TAX.

Even in the Ideological concept of Wealth distribution, it was argued that the results of such a proposal will indeed be worse to the population than the notion of what it is that you wish to achieve.

So it is not actually a complex conundrum to realise the basic fact that the Welfare state is but a concept that helps create the Illusion that You the People need the state to live and survive; But in economical and in mathematical fact; by its very nature is the destroyer and predatory parasitism that wipes out any economic or social activity;

Understand Social power and State Power
So it is an Anti Social institution. A bit different than what they would condition you to believe.
Posted by All-, Friday, 7 January 2011 11:13:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter Hume:

So after we dump out social service and any subsidy payments of any form to Industry (including farmers by way of drought or flood assistance and special welfare payments given free of the shackles ordinarily applied to the masses) or individuals which would come under the strict classification of welfare, what would be the next saving grace for poor beleaguered tax payers of this country of ours under your scheme of rectification.

Here is one of mine; Sack the Police force and allow the further unfettered progress to the black market already existing in this country who also refuse to pay tax and get away with the crime while distributing drugs and fire arms throughout our communities. Remember any activity that makes money gets the “nod” from Capitalism with your system: A system without controls has no bottom line. Another word for your deal is “Anarchy”
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 7 January 2011 3:40:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, i am in general agreement with diver dan, although I do tend to express more sympathy for the contribution made by by centre-right parties. I feel all parties are important as we struggle for the right policy mix.

Even PM Howard backed down on some of his previous beliefs and accepted the need for some industry protection. Key is always balance.

I too would like some examples of successful govts or societies when govt completely gets out of the way
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 7 January 2011 4:11:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know it is provocative however had the Europeans not arrived in Australia life expectancy and quality of life would be heaps and heaps lower. Thank God for advances brought about by hard work and true science. Thankfully Christians built schools and hospitals. If we regress to the Green faith it is only the 'elite' who want to live with the benefits brought to them by progress however they want to deny all others that opportunity to prosper.
Posted by runner, Friday, 7 January 2011 4:26:08 PM
<I know it is provocative however had the Europeans not arrived in Australia life expectancy and quality of life would be heaps and heaps lower. Thank God for advances brought about by hard work and true science. Thankfully Christians built schools and hospitals>

So tell me, Runner, how do you account for the miserable wretches we've made of the aborigines?
And you talk of "quality of life", what a joke! Consumerism is quality of life, is it? And "life expectancy"; it's an equation, isn't it? We live so much longer, ergo life's better. More is always better? The American Indians enjoyed are similar boon!
And yes, let's drag the Greens into it, the root of all evil, those who actually care for God's creation!

On the other topic, PH forgets that his precious free market also relies on broad-scale consumerism, which is only maintained by adequate welfare. The consumer base is as artificial as everything else in this noxious system. Welfare is what maintains the system, what forestalls revolution, what cannot be sustained. Nothing can "fix the system", PH, it's more a matter of whether we can survive the system!
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 7 January 2011 5:44:02 PM
Peter,

Given your rather voluble oposition to the current state and its economy I was interested in an example of a state, or an economy (either found together, or separately) where your philsosophy can be seen in action.
Posted by PaulL, Friday, 7 January 2011 5:51:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All