The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Science, politics and climate change > Comments

Science, politics and climate change : Comments

By Michael Rowan, published 30/12/2010

When it comes to climate conservative politicians have declared war on science.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. All
1. You have to learn to differentiate between ‘local’ and ‘regional’.

2. I did not mention IPCC, I was referring to numerous scientific papers published since AR4. Am sure AR5 will have something to say.

3. Close your ears, there is a difference between energy balance and climate sensitivity.

4. I read my point again ... and you want equations?

5. If you say so.

6. I'm from Barcelona, I'm tired and I've more important things to do.

Joe
Please accept a rain-cheque (pun not intended).
Posted by bonmot, Wednesday, 12 January 2011 10:39:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Re : bonmot’s “answer” to PaulL’s six points--Wednesday, 12 January 2011 10:39:25 PM]

Well done, Bonmot : you answered just like a true IPCC committeeman!
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 14 January 2011 7:26:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So, let's get this straight:

* years of drought - AGW

* most of eastern Australia under water - AGW

* warmest decade on record - AGW

* worst winter on record in Europe and North America - AGW

* icebergs calving - AGW

* water running off Greenland - AGW.

Okay, glaciers are retreating, presumably glaciated areas of mountains are moving up-slope (at a measurable adiabatic rate), growing seasons are starting earlier and finishing later, plant and animal species are moving south in our hemisphere and north in the other hemisphere, so yes, there is AGW: sea-levels have risen two inches in sixty years, and average temperatures have risen by one degree in the same time.

Meanwhile, are governments getting into funding renewable energy ? Are car companies getting into electric cars ? Good or bad, are some governments turning to nuclear energy ? Are there any governments anywhere which are funding massive and long-term tree-planting projects, to suck up the CO2 ?

Or are governments sitting back, clueless ? Is there still hope for the doom-sayers ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 15 January 2011 10:06:17 AM
Hello Joe, owed you one.
Hope you’ve had a chance to look around the BOM site, use some of the tools, change some of the parameters, etc - should put your 6-degrees into perspective. The Indian Ocean Dipole will impact SA evermore, imo. This should not be confused with the problems we’re now experiencing; our wet season, extremely +’ve SOI (strong La Nina), series of low pressure cells off entire east coast, intense activity of Pacific Walker and Hadley cells, and to top it off, extraordinarily high ocean temperatures to depth of 200 m, also off the east coast. This current confluence of ocean/air/land activity is playing out as one of an increasing number of extreme weather events the world will experience. The more energy into a system, the more heat- the more heat- the more water vapour- the more water vapour- the more snow and rain. Obeying the simple Laws of physics in a dynamic and chaotic Earth System (equations are quite complex). Caveat? GW does not mean warming every year, in every region, as some are wont to think. Scientists would like to ‘limit’ the increase to 2-degrees – is that likely to happen? Not imo. As to 1940’s to 70’s – sulphate aerosols (by-product of fossil fuel burning) has a cooling effect – modern plants ‘scrub’ it out of the discharges. Joe, given you’re work with indigenous issues, you are no idiot. A pity, but not surprising, that idiots are trying to blame BOM for some of the problems OZ has been experiencing.

ps: Government's aren't clueless, politicians are. Do you know what China has been doing?
Posted by bonmot, Sunday, 16 January 2011 2:55:29 PM
Thanks, Bonmot, points taken.
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 16 January 2011 3:47:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy