The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Silent Night – a miracle in the making > Comments

Silent Night – a miracle in the making : Comments

By Warwick Marsh, published 24/12/2010

One song more than any other embodies the qualities of Christmas and has been there to prove it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Reading the article I was inclined not to post a response, till I read the other posters above. Now I think we have to speak out against such twee rubbish, such salivating, dripping sentiment that so many lap-up greedily. I don't believe there's a word of truth in it that wouldn't take on much more sombre tones if the romance were tempered by the full reality. Indeed, such "inspired" yarns are tantamount to peddling fairy tales with happy endings in the context of Auschwitz.
Silent Night certainly is a catchy string of sentiment for those inclined to relinquish their grasp of reality in favour mawkish make-believe. Indeed it's maddening the way such contrived sentiment affects one; I'm often disposed to tears over sentimentality I ought to find contemptuous. But we humans tend too easily to be suckers for sentiment and ceremony we know we ought to hold in contempt.
So sorry to be a humbug, but HUMBUG!
With six kids I've often been an unwilling (indeed appalled) witness of Carols by Candlelight, but though I still have two-year-old twins, never again!
It's hard to say which carols are worse, the ones devoted to consumerism and celebration for its own sake, or the religious crap. Certainly it's no place for a thinking person.

I wonder if this missionary author, like his brethren I've heard about, consider aboriginals possessed by the devil?
Posted by Squeers, Saturday, 25 December 2010 2:01:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust,
He knew no more that he was poor,
Or that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy ways,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings!"
-Emily Dickinson.

Whether its a book or a song or a poem by itself its nothing - a film shown in an empty cinema; one can only assess its value by the light it brings to an adult/child's eye! (apologies to Elaine Moss for having borrowed some of her quote).
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 25 December 2010 4:23:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm thankful that Silent Night and the spirit that is behind it will outlast the negative responses like some of the sad stuff written in this forum so far.

Jesus had the same knockers 2000 years ago, there is nothing new.

In every generation all sorts of diverse people people turn to Him, find a wonderful experience of new life and hope. Sure, Christians aren't perfect, but that doesn't stop the gospel message being true.
Posted by Dash, Sunday, 26 December 2010 11:05:33 AM
"Christians aren't perfect, but that doesn't stop the gospel message being true."

As far as I know nobody ever claimed it did. What stops it being true is a complete absence of independent corroborative evidence, and a good strong dose of inherent improbability.
Posted by Jon J, Sunday, 26 December 2010 1:53:52 PM
how accurately Jesus reads the hearts of man. Our first few posters highlight it very well.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 26 December 2010 2:37:13 PM
Yes lovely song, well done Mr Mohr and Mr Gruber.

Warwick: “…This baby was supposedly illegitimate. Joseph had put his good name on the line,…” ”While Mary deserves all the credit she gets, her husband does too.”

Even talking about the birth of Christ you put in a plug for fathers rights Warwick and the sacrifice Joseph made, for reasons I can’t quite explain that message made me feel yuck and I am so pleased I didn’t see it yesterday.

Reading previous posts has clarified why I didn’t get what war had to do with that particular song. If the date was special to a few soldiers on one day then all good but I can think of some better songs to describe that situation.
Posted by Jewely, Sunday, 26 December 2010 4:03:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy