The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Baby Jesus smashes systems of order > Comments

Baby Jesus smashes systems of order : Comments

By Mark Johnson, published 17/12/2010

The Jesus of Christmas is iconoclastic - smashing our preference for order.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Briar Rose...this may come as a bit of a shock...but I am persistently ANNOYED by the use of.... the 'Christian we' :)

Oooooh...at our Bible study group, one of the participants often shares how 'we' do nothing to win people to the Lord.. 'we' are lame.. 'we' are this.. 'we' are that... 'we' need to 'really get back to the basics'
and so it goes.

Just about every week I share about something I've done.. someone I've spoken to.. some debate here.. some public act which stimulates discussion about Christian things.. but still 'WE'....grrrrr...

JOHNNY.. you are welcome in the name of freedom to have whatever order you wish, it is said of Jesus:

"Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"— (John 1:12)

If an individual does not wish to receive Jesus, He is not going to force you or anyone to do so...but maybe one day you will surprise me when I maybe meet you in Glory.. I can tell you this much..when the Lord draws someone, it's difficult not to be drawn...and while we have our free will, if you are on the "list" in the book of life... you will be there :) I shudder to think of any other 'order' which people trust their destiny to.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 17 December 2010 7:09:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's amazing how little attention some of you pay to the article. If you have looked at it you would have seen a photo of Chrys. She is definitely not a "he".

And then we just have the thread hijacked to the usual obsessions that various posters have.

What about addressing the article for a change? Chrys isn't having a go at Christians, she's looking for a meaning for those who aren't Christian.

Seems a reasonable atttude to me. I'm amazed at how much Christmas has changed for my family, even though we're practicing Christian - well at least Mum and I are. Which is an issue that must arise for a lot of families. How do you deal with the Christian members and the agnostic or atheist ones?

Is Christmas just a day of idle celebration, or is there a religious component to it, and how do you accommodate the various views whilst maintaining family coherence?
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 17 December 2010 9:59:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GrahamY

I think you posted on the wrong article.
Posted by runner, Friday, 17 December 2010 10:04:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<Is Christmas just a day of idle celebration, or is there a religious component to it, and how do you accommodate the various views whilst maintaining family coherence?>>

Incoherence is also a problem at OLO.
Posted by Proxy, Friday, 17 December 2010 10:08:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Life bad, Christ good, no evidence -- got it. Next, please.
Posted by Jon J, Saturday, 18 December 2010 7:30:28 AM
Dear John J

actually there is very good evidence for....

-The birth of Christ
-The life of Christ
-The death of Christ
-The resurrection of Christ
-The future return of Christ.

It's not lack of evidence which is the problem mate...it's 'attitude' to it.

I suspect it would not matter if the Lord came and gave you a personal shakeup of 20 on the Richter scale, you would find some way of rationalizing or refuting it.

How do I know this? Simple: when Jesus healed a man blind from birth, who the whole community KNEW had been blind from birth... and who Jesus healed instantly and publically.... the only thing the Pharisees could think of was.....

*How can we KILL this upstart?"

So the issue is never 'lack of evidence'....it's what is in our hearts.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 20 December 2010 4:30:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy