The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Vietnam: the last battle > Comments

Vietnam: the last battle : Comments

By John Pilger, published 10/12/2010

Within one person's lifetime Ho Chi Minh’s nationalists have fought and expelled the French, British, the Americans and the Chinese.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Again, thank you PAULL, you certainly put an interesting perspective
on that whole terrible war.

We (me) just tried to get through our tour, somewhat mechanically I will admit, without ever truly understanding the political issues thereof.

We were all aware (heard) of the huge 'rage' against the war, back home. And I for one couldn't understand how our own people could possibly turn against us ? Particulary when we were sent by our own government, to basically interdict the flow of communism, reaching as far down as the Malaysian Peninsular.

I may well be wrong PAULL. But I reckon the issues and events of the mid sixties until the early seventies, utterly destroyed patriotism in Australia ?

Yes PAULL, you do possess considerable knowledge of those times. Certainly much more than I. We simply did our twelve months, and came home. Most of us did, at least.
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 12 December 2010 10:16:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O'Sung Wu,

No, Thank you. Austalian owes a great debt to all of its veterans, but even more so to the Vietnam Veterans.

I cannot imagine being sent abroad to fight for my country with all the sacrifice that no doubt entailed and then being abused and disowned upon my return. It is a particularly shameful period of Australian history.

I think that patriotism is stronger now than it was in the late 60's and 70's. Although you wouldn't know it from the volume of loony-lefters who post here.

One good thing to come of the vietnam vets experiences was that support for our troops today is nearly universal. There may be plenty who disagree with the current war, but very few are prepared to blame the troops for that. Which is as it should be.
Posted by PaulL, Monday, 13 December 2010 6:10:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you John Pilger. Your article, as is usual with your work, is well researched, concise, humane - adjectives that couldn't be applied to your detractors. Of course, in an article of this length, you couldn't say everything but you certainly convey the general flavour and include some details your detractors prefer to ignore. Methinks some of the responses are from bitter, jealous old men who lack your capacities and insight.

If we forget - or deny - the realities of the American War against Viet Nam, we are destined to repeat the stupidities and atrocities elsewhere. And guess what? That's exactly what the west is doing....
Posted by anna52, Monday, 13 December 2010 6:21:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always held the utmost respect and compassion for all Australians and innocents who participated in WWI, WWII and Vietnam, and when the subjects are raised, think of my Uncle, who my father never had the opportunity to meet, dying in Tobruk at the age of 19yrs.

Thinking of the heartache and sadness my grandparents would have gone through during those years, and my heart aches trying to imagine at times, what a young kid of 19yrs endured in those trenches in the middle east, further not ever given a life to enjoy the things most of us have enjoyed and taken for granted, from wonderful food, shelter and modern technology.
Posted by we are unique, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 12:18:37 AM
Paul L generally I agree with you. Just a minor point.. if you talk to many "Vietnamese" refugees.. you'll find many of them are part Chinese.

Many pure Viet others worked for the Americans or Sth Vietnamese Govt.

Spindoc......

//However, in order to maintain your world view, you seem increasingly to resort to deconstruction, omission and misrepresentation of history.// Hi 5 Spindoc :)

ARJAY...fascinating for sure... you might be on something there.. Not sure what though. (The Simpsons was the best bit) Do you have any more on that?
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 5:49:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AIR,The Simpson's episode says it all.It shows the arrogance and power of those who planned 911.No,I don't have any to beat that one.Just have a look at the scientific evidence http://ae911truth.org/ and these very credible people http://patriotsquestion911.org/

War is looming because those who perpetrated this crime,seek war as an escape from their own people.Wikileaks has revealed that Aust intelligence sources do not see Iran as a threat yet Israel and the neo-cons in the USA want to attack Iran.

Have to realised the gravity of the situation yet?
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 7:59:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy