The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The case for civil rights > Comments

The case for civil rights : Comments

By James Carman, published 8/12/2010

Gay marriage: a democracy must not mean the majority deciding what is right for the minority.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Proxy by your postings you appear to have personal emotional issues in your life, that you have not addressed.
This weakness in your being, is shown by your denigrating easy targets, without evidence and without forthought to what you are saying.
You obviously have been hurt in your life, to be so vitirolic towards others. Whatever it is, it is not your problem, and it can be resolved.
Posted by Kipp, Saturday, 11 December 2010 5:07:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Virtually every argument in favour of gay marriage can apply when considrering the recent news of out Switzerland.

After all, why not let siblings get married...

Another domino falls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/8198917/Switzerland-considers-repealing-incest-laws.html

"The upper house of the Swiss parliament has drafted a law decriminalising sex between consenting family members which must now be considered by the government.

There have been only three cases of incest since 1984.

Switzerland, which recently held a referendum passing a draconian law that will boot out foreigners convicted of committing the smallest of crimes, insists that children within families will continue to be protected by laws governing abuse and paedophilia."
Posted by Dougthebear, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 5:57:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can understand the Swiss decriminalising homosexual incest as it is their fundamental human right
and besides, what harm could it do?

But decriminalising heterosexual incest, how icky!
Posted by Proxy, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 6:42:29 PM
Here is further proof that homosexual "civil rights"
are not very far removed from incestuous "civil rights".

When a writer for the left-wing Huffingpost was arrested for having sex with his adult daughter
look what the "progressives" had to say:

"Why do we care who he has relations with? As long as he and his daughter don’t risk birth defect by procreating then consenting adults can do as they please. Many royals marry those very closely related, it’s only in our modern society that we find this practice odd."

"It’s ridiculous that there’s a law concerning this. If two (or more) parties are consenting adults, it’s none of the government’s business what kind of sex life they have."

"“Some things are simply always going to be appalling and thoroughly disgusting…” To you, perhaps. Do you want to be the sole arbiter of morality for everyone else in the world? Whatever will we do when you pass on?"

"This isn’t far away from arresting gay people for congregating in bar ala 1969. As the recipient of much maligning as a gay person historically, I would take a long deep breath before condemning the actions of another. May be some of you should too."

http://weaselzippers.us/2010/12/13/lefties-unsurprisingly-ok-with-incest-after-huff-po-writer-arrested-for-having-sex-with-his-daughter/

I bet our own progressives can hardly wait to come out in support of incest
but not until they've achieved their current goal of same-sex "marriage".
Posted by Proxy, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 8:50:48 PM
Proxy,

I really do think it is time to scrap these thoroughly out-dated notions of Left and Right - so often 'Left' is nothing better than 'opportunist', I'm ashamed to say: whatever works for 'our' side, and stuff principle.

I'm not interested in the Right, it is probably what it's always been. But the 'Left' really has disgraced itself so many times over the last twenty years, over Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, al Qa'ida, Morales' cocaine policy, etc. I wonder what might happen when they find out that China was behind the brutal suppression of the Tamils in Sri Lanka. Probably not a peep.

I was born and raised on the Left. I realised from an early age that many in it were prone to opportunism and gutlessness, but I never dreamt that as a whole, it could sink so low as it has these last few years.

So we currently find so much outrage about Assange being pinged for rape, while there also is not a peep about Liu Xiao Bo getting eleven years for requesting that the Chinese government observe its own law, and for asking for freedom of speech and assembly, freedoms which the so-called 'Left' takes for granted.

Perhaps if Assange gets eleven years combined for rape, breaching some official Secrets Act or other, and various other trivial bits of law in various countries, he can be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Yes, freedom of speech, for both Assange and Liu Xiao Bo. I wonder whose legacy will last longest ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 14 December 2010 10:52:44 PM
Is same sex "marriage" a civil right?

70% of African Americans say no.
You'd think they'd have some idea wouldn't you?
Or are they just homophobic?
Hey, you can't say that.
That would be racist!

"Gays and lesbians “may want to cast their fight in civil-rights terms, and a lot of people are buying it. But not the faith community and especially not the black community,” says Bishop Harry Jackson, whose Hope Christian Church has a flock of 3,000 in the Washington, D.C., area. Indeed, some 70 percent of African-Americans voted yes on California’s Prop 8, and polls found similar levels of opposition among blacks for a marriage initiative in Florida that same year. After the Washington, D.C., City Council last year approved gay marriage in the District, Jackson joined forces with the National Organization for Marriage in petitioning the U.S. Supreme Court to allow voters to decide on overturning the law. “Many African-Americans believe gays are discriminated against, but they don’t believe marriage is a civil-rights issue,” says Jackson, who says his father was threatened at gunpoint in the 1950s by a state trooper while working on a voter-registration drive. “There are issues of acceptance, but there is no back of the bus; there are no lynchings.” There is also the ongoing debate as to whether homosexuality is an immutable trait or a choice. “It’s not immutable,” says Jackson. “And it’s not an externally observable characteristic unless you want to flaunt it.”"
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/12/14/are-gay-rights-civil-rights.html?from=rss
Posted by Proxy, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:14:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy