The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Liberals win by default in Victoria > Comments

Liberals win by default in Victoria : Comments

By Graham Young, published 1/12/2010

If the Labor brand is 'toxic' then the Liberals hardly won at all.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I imagine (I hope) there very least we can expect the same in NSW.
The liberal Party under Barry o Farrel is an absolute joke and has not a single redeeming quality- except that it's not NSW state Labor;

Ideally I would preference the Greens (in fact, I will preference them and then Liberals this election) knowing that at least they at least actually do stand stauncher against privatization and developer donations (unlike Barry who couldn't quite bring himself to even speak against it when asked); not to mention personally invested in the concept of improving our shocking transport (as opposed to Labor who seem to preoccupy themselves mostly with ways to scam road users)

The Labor party is so disgusting, so corrupt, and has done such an incredibly bad job there is simply no way anyone with a brain could honestly look at any other party, ANY, and say they could possibly do worse (those that disagree please do provide an example (with a source), as I'm sure we're all riveted).

Bring back John Brogden and I'll even forget he's a racist douche from his "mail order bride" comment if he'll take the leadership!
At this point NSW really needs all the help it can get.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 11:20:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that the Victorian election result
exemplifies what is wrong with a "winner takes all"
electoral system dominated by two political
parties with very little to distinguish them in
terms of ideology and policy. A 6% swing to the
Liberals has resulted in them gaining a majority of one seat,
while the one in ten voters who gave the Greens
their first preference remain unrepresented in parliament.

Victoria needs to adopt some kind of proportionally representative
electoral system, such as those that exist in Tasmania and
the ACT. The current situation is far from democratic,
and results in the electorate being saddled with a government
that most electors didn't vote for.
Posted by talisman, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 11:39:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Talisman, no thank you.

The last thing we need, in our parliament is a home for the ratbag fringe.

It's bad enough that we have a load of deadheads, but at least they are basically silent deadheads, not a noisy rabble, forcing their stupidity on the majority.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 11:51:00 AM
talisman, if all the Green voters would move to one electorate, then they could have their own member of parliament - just shows how disorganized they are doesn't it (ha ha, sorry hard to resist such logic) it would also let us watch how they experiment shutting down power, roads, transport (except bicycles), gas, petrol so they can set an example to the rest of us how holy they can be .. and we'd all care sooooo much (!)

those who do not vote ALP or green, are evidently happy with the result .. so over 50% of the population are happy .. that's democracy. if 10.6% are unhappy, who cares? Seriously .. that's democratic isn't it?

I suspect though that most Green voters expect their party to be able to play kingmaker and piggy in the middle which is way out of proportion to their actual representation in the electorate.

I doubt the greens will enjoy the position they hold now ever again, the frivolous little adventure in protest voting is kicking us all in the pants, it was fun, but now we have extremists in the senate and it's not so funny anymore

hasbeen, I completely agree with you about Turnbull, most Liberal voters despise him, as much as they despise Mal Frazer or many other Liberal people. I think many ALP voters think the rest of Australia is as rusted on as they appear to be, and Liberal voters to me do not seem to be that way, they don't all subscribe to class politics, ALP/ABC style.
Posted by Amicus, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 11:59:03 AM
Graham,

I do have to add one further comment.

I would go so far as stating that it is not a matter of policy as you are emphasising in your response, that is in the case of Abbott, the ETS and for Turnbull, holding the line for asylum seekers. These matters are important, yes, but in this era of 'presidential-style' electoral environments, rightly or wrongly, it is the appeal of a candidate first and policies the electorate can live with, second.

I know that is not what is expected or understood but now the oft-quoted mantra that "we have the best policies" counts for little. The "most acceptable policies" or the "most achievable policies" are more realistic phrases. If you are somewhere in the middle of the road they will be acceptable. No extremes required.

I put it to you that the public are far more likely to judge people on how they are viewed representing Australia in an international environment. Characteristics such as sincerity, professionalism, credibility, integrity and honesty are more likely to extract a favourable response from a voter following a news broadcast than anything one could say about a 'boat people' policy, remembered for a minute or two as opposed to a general good feeling that "he / she looked good up there with those other leaders. Makes one feel proud". It is a fact.

It is just not possible to respect or feel proud of either current leader

Even the local member is becoming less important, almost a passenger, such is the party system. He / she is just making up the number, destined to become voiceless backbenchers only.
The public's need to respect and admire a leader is the most important comfort factor, therefore voting factor and this pre-requisite has become mandatory over the past 4 years.

It is that premiss that motivates my comments on this subject.

Final example. OBAMA
Appealing, unknown (seemed honest), different, polished with rhetoric to burn, fast on his feet, an element of excitement.
Result.
Unacceptable in 2 years. Finished in one term. Reason? Credibility, integrity and honesty.
Posted by rexw, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 12:59:02 PM
Based on past history, state and federal governments run their course after an extended period and most people do want a change to the status quo no matter what it might bring. New faces, new people, may bring a new future. It may be good or it might be bad. The voters are willing to give it a chance. Labor in Victoria has had a good run, left a program of works some of which (where contracts have been signed, and permits given) will continue under the new government.

According to an interview that John Howard gave recently on Lateline,
Federal and State politics of different persuasions can work productively. It will be interesting to see what the future will bing in the state of Victoria.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 1:10:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy