The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Achieving sustainable prosperity > Comments

Achieving sustainable prosperity : Comments

By Shann Turnbull, published 1/12/2010

Returning equity to workers would heal the environment and the economy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
maybe like the way all Norwegians are benefiting from North Sea oil, and not just the very few.

A nation that hasn't let its oil wealth go to its head.
Posted by SHRODE, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 12:02:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< Australia would become a richer country as the export of profits overseas was phased out. >>

That’s definitely something that we should be doing - phasing out foreign ownership and the siphoning off of profits.

<< Government tax revenues could increase as the tax base transferred from corporations to individuals who pay tax at a higher rate than corporations. >>

Sounds good, but why can’t we just tax corporations at a higher rate?

Oh silly me, of course it’s because governments and big businesses are peas in a pod, while ordinary citizens are little more than an annoyance that governments and opposition parties have to spin BS to in order to get re-elected!

<< The new tax regime could create a win, win, win outcome respectively for businesses, citizens and the nation >>

Sounds wonderful.

<< An ecological tax regime makes it political attractive to accelerate global prosperity without growth sooner to protect the environment. Australia could become a role model for the world in pioneering ecological capitalism to sustain both nature and society. >>

I want to know more. Dr Turnbull, could you possibly direct me to the best references? Thanks.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 10:14:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Shann,

Sounds intriguing, as usual. And as usual I struggle a bit with its density. Just one question at this point. Does "boomerang ownership" refer to the kind of ownership you have just described, or to some variation tailored to foreign-based companies.

Well, two questions - is there a longer version of this idea?
Posted by Geoff Davies, Thursday, 2 December 2010 1:02:56 PM
Good on you, Shann.
You keep on going.
We need new ideas, and we will not get them from our financial rulers.
Posted by ozideas, Monday, 6 December 2010 12:04:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy