The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women should be free to wear the burqa > Comments

Women should be free to wear the burqa : Comments

By Pip Hinman, published 29/11/2010

Wearing the burqa raises complicated questions of human rights.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 42
  7. 43
  8. 44
  9. Page 45
  10. 46
  11. All
Pericles,
I don't see how your opinion is less 'black-and-white' than mine or most others here. That's okay. We don't want people to fence sit. Don't worry about disagreeing with me. I'm quite used to you doing that.

I don't think I was confusing the two laws, the prohibition against facial coverings and that against female circumcision. I know they are quite different. But their commonality is that these laws are both sometimes (wrongly) perceived as being attacks directed towards a religion.

My overall point is that it is normal and expected that a society will codify into law its standards and values, especially those that uphold the wellbeing and integrity of each person.

Certain countries wish to enforce stricter standards of modesty. In the West we value the equality of both sexes and encourage their full and unashamed participation in society.      
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Thursday, 30 December 2010 5:28:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Again!......it stills comes down from what all we....... you don't understand.

Women should be free to wear the burqa......the question is.....who and what owns the way we live.

Its racism....and all are not ready to mix........your just not ready yet.

And I mean it.

BLU
Posted by Deep-Blue, Saturday, 1 January 2011 3:48:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is racist, exactly, Blue? Your obtuse posting doesn't make it plain. It's racist to want to ban the burqa in Australia? What race was Islam, again? There could be anything under one of those mobile marquee tents. I used to have to remove my motorcycle helmet for security reasons in banks etc, burqas raise similar security issues. If Muslim men want their women to be out of the sight of infidels, they should think about the culture to which they're emigrating, and not try to impose mediaeval values on the rest of us. I feel sorry for any woman confined to this disgusting apparel, and wonder why western "feminists" spent a generation trying to figuratively castrate men while allowing a mysoginist culture free rein.
Posted by viking13, Saturday, 1 January 2011 8:18:56 AM
@Jewelry - If you want to be responded to with any degree of seriousness about the oppression of women via the burqa, stop referring to women as "chicks"? All that does is give men ammunition to not take what we say or what we do with any degree of seriousness! We should also stop the childlike names such as 'patsy' or 'lizzy' or? Get the drift? When you start taking women's issues with some degree of seriousness and get rid of the 'cutesy' names, then I'll take you seriously too!

I'm in my 66th year. I've lived through some of the most revolting and unjust years of discrimination. As I've said earlier, I'm involved with a Women's Health Centre. I give not one fig for anyone using the anti-feminist argument against me. Why? I mix with lots of real women who, through their occupations, relationships and other life challenges, like caring for frail and/or very ill parents, have experienced areas of life, that I suggest, many on this post have yet to experience. I've raised kids and have grand kids!

I DO NOT find the wearing of the burqa by probably less than .01% of the female population any sort of threat! I have no argument with the probably majority of men in the Middle East who do not believe that women are worse than ants! My arguments are with all men from wherever they come from who believe, and live, that women(and sadly kids) are less important than ants! Sadly, too many of them live in Australia!

Let's get some perspective into the issues/realities that demean; trivialize and support the exploitation of women, both physically, sexually, politically, industrially and many others too numerous to mention.

@ Constance - Go and do some more reading!
Posted by Liz45, Saturday, 1 January 2011 5:36:21 PM
Liz,
As a feminist, how do you see the symbolism of the burka, in view of what it stands for in the societies where it is most often worn? 
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Monday, 3 January 2011 5:39:46 PM
@Dan -Go and read some of my earlier posts. This is just going round and round, and getting nowhere! The whole point is, that in my view, if women in Australia want to wear the burqa, for whatever reason - as a protest or? Good for them!

I hate oppression of anyone, anywhere in the world. If we ban the burqa here due to a few men who oppress women, why don't we ban alcohol due to those people who are abusing people; taking up time in Emergency Rooms, say at St Vincent's Sydney or? I'm really not too concerned about it. There's probably less than .01% of women either from the Middle east, or born to parents from the Middle East, that it's really not high on my list of priorities for the liberation of women in Australia! If we really do care about the rights and equality for and of women, let's look at the issues that really demean and cause anguish etc. The greatest danger to all women, particularly indigenous women is violence by an intimate partner or family member.

Then, let's stop the sexual violence perpetrated against all women and kids around the world! Let's not treat the wearing of the burqa in Australia with an importance that it doesn't warrant? It's a smokescreen to 'muslim bash' in my view! If we really cared about women in the Middle east, we'd get our troops out of their country and stop killing and maiming them, and their kids!We'd stop making excuses to invade these countries for the resources they contain, like OIL? We'd start telling the truth as to why we're still there, and why our Govt is lying to us! Read Wikileaks!
Posted by Liz45, Monday, 3 January 2011 5:52:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 42
  7. 43
  8. 44
  9. Page 45
  10. 46
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy