The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A case for humanitarian intervention in North Korea > Comments

A case for humanitarian intervention in North Korea : Comments

By Andrew Carr, published 26/11/2010

Pre-emptive strikes are often the only moral course of action.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I was just a little stunned by this throwaway line.

>>The objections to intervening are many, and present important issues to work through. The terrain in North Korea is rough; they really do have nuclear weapons, their military is far more capable than Iraq's and their artillery on the border casts a dark shadow across the 24 million people living in Seoul.<<

The objections here seem logistical, rather than ethical or moral.

Surely there is more to a policy of invading a country whose actions you dislike than "can we get away with it without too much damage to our own troops"?
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 26 November 2010 3:07:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting piece Mr Carr. My only difficulty with any sort of military solution apropos bringing a type of democracy or human rights to North Korea, is a mighty big ask.

They (the NK's) are probably one of the best prepared nations in the world, in terms of prosecuting a war with anyone. One of their greatest (recorded) human right's abuses has been to circumvent Aid that was given to feed their hungery, and applying it to further expand and dilate their already immense military potential.

And from all reports, they possess a limited nuclear capability too, and aren't reticent in using it either.

I'm a Vietnam Vet. and we had to contend with both the NVA and VC (whom we operated against in the Long Hai hills) being resupplied from as far away as the Ho Chi Minh trail !

Therefore, I'd hate to think of how we'd ever have any sort of military victory over NK without causing millions of casualties amongst the innocents.

In my humble opinion, North Korea is no Iraq or even Vietnam. If we, the western world and it's allies, do consider starting anything militarily, we better be prepared to go the whole way, and I for one don't want to be here to see it.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 26 November 2010 3:21:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Innocent people may get hurt, but not all people there can be apponents of n korea.
Posted by 579, Friday, 26 November 2010 3:43:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew Carr,

If the Chinese assessment of North Korea's future is pessimistic they might,just might, agree to an 'intervention' however it would be on their terms and not for humantitarian reasons.
Who knows what degree of influence, or even control, Beijing has over North Korea. My money is on North Korea as a puppet of Beijing and not the 'rogue state' it's represented as in the West.
The Chinese allowed Pyongyang to develop nuclear weapons,compelling evidence, in my opinion,of Chinese complicity in North Korea's 'foreign policy'. Of course no Western politician will state the obvious, for 'diplomatic reasons'.
Posted by mac, Friday, 26 November 2010 5:25:03 PM
I'm going to guess that Andrew your of military age. If so why don't you join up and take the fight to the bad guys. Or is it other who die for your beliefs not you?
Just what we need another person willing to order other people to kill and be killed?
If you haven't learnt anything from the past 500 years, then you should at least grasp that these situations can only be resolved by the Korean's themselves. If the everyone else keep out of it and not give the dictator oxygen.
Posted by cornonacob, Saturday, 27 November 2010 10:03:43 AM
Leave it to the Koreans to sort out. Do you think this bloke would stop at one.
This regime is clearly a nut case.
Dangerous to the world and dangerous to them self.
Anyone that joins the army knows what they are there for, thats the nature of the job. You can't pack an army in cotton wool.
China would probably like to see them sort it out them self.
That is equally dangerous.
The korean war has not finished yet, they were just seeing if they could live together, although separated.
This separation is too much for the north to handle.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 27 November 2010 11:17:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy