The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Paltry allowance gives jobless no hope of paying the bills > Comments

Paltry allowance gives jobless no hope of paying the bills : Comments

By Cassandra Goldie, published 24/11/2010

ACOSS wants social security payment increases on the tax reform agenda.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Back in the sixties I had to move a couple of thousand kilometres from home to find employment in my chosen profession. Best thing I ever did. Those who are perpetually unemployed should stop wingeing and do likewise.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 24 November 2010 9:38:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welfare is like an addiction.
No matter the level of benefits, it will never be enough.
Expectations simply increase.
A possible cure is coupons/vouchers to meet basic human needs:
Food, clothing, shelter, health, education.
Why should other taxpayers fund cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, entertainment, fast food, brand-name clothing, mobile phones, DVD's, etc, for those who don't work?
Recipients should be grateful for having their basic needs met and the desire for luxuries can be satisfied by finding a job, any job.
Posted by Proxy, Wednesday, 24 November 2010 9:52:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sowat:

Well stated. I could add a couple of peripheral points to round off your sentiments. John Howard was responsible for the shift of responsibility for the jobless from Government control to private enterprise and closure of the Commonweal unemployment service further distancing Government from the realities of the unemployed. To the Government they are a divorced statistic.

To the Proxy’s of these posts: In my own close proximity to the unemployed I observe the slow and insidious decline of hope and its effect on morale of the unemployed. I observe the impossibility of existence on the pittance handed out and the anxiety caused by the attempt to do so. I observe the loss of independence as people are forced to move back to families often aged parents or often in the case of the young, to situations they needed escape from.

Unemployment is often embedded in families over generations and has become the lifestyle of survival to its members, to deal in drugs the acceptable means to top up unemployment benefits and too often become members of the prison “Industry” as a result; chased for the term of their natural life with a criminal record to be used against them at every turn, especially in potential employment.

I observe the demands on the unemployed to contribute thirty hours or more voluntary work per week or lose the dole only adding to the demeaning nature of unemployment.

Now Proxy, give me some benefits that may flow from unemployment since, by the contents of your post you appear to believe it to be their fault, and so much fun and enjoyment for them to be idle in society while all the good folk go out to work and suffer
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 24 November 2010 10:59:21 PM
Go easy there Diver, you'll have me bleeding all over my key board.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 24 November 2010 11:07:29 PM
DIVER DAN says:

//To the Proxy’s of these posts: In my own close proximity to the unemployed I observe the slow and insidious decline of hope and its effect on morale of the unemployed. I observe the impossibility of existence on the pittance handed out and the anxiety caused by the attempt to do so.//

It's impossible to give you realistic benefits DD because with Kenworth 'process workers' getting $28/hour and Sparkies getting $150,000 at the Desal plant (which will show up in our water bills)...the value of your benefits is being eroded by GREEEEED and thuggish EXTORTION.

It's not helped by the same greed among CEO's and ENGINEERS who all dig in to the fallen carcase of OUR society for their share of the blood and gore.

Unfortunately.. 'benefit's are not 'entitlements'... you are not entitled to anything. You can start small though... get a mower.. put out an ad and start mowing LAWNS or something.. a lot of others have.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 25 November 2010 9:49:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ALGOREisRICH/Hasbeen:

This venue is of course no place to write a thesis on the unemployed and their plight, which to be fair to the subject matter it would require.

As an observer with an opinion to express based on observation mainly, I chose (in the above post) to highlight those in my field of view on the lower end of the social scale: But of course there are the lucky ones in the unemployed ranks that do not qualify for sympathy. As I said, that lucky element is excluded from comment above.

I disagree AGisR that a social benefit is not a right. Sorry, but in our society it is. So to be a benefit why not make it a worthwhile benefit that suits the circumstances of the individual instead of a “One size fits all” nonsense that the hotchpotch called “New Start allowance” currently is?

To take another step outside your square, I propose that social service spending should not be reduced (as the pressure is for that achievement in some European countries such as Ireland currently) but increased by more equitable and responsible spending of the tax dollar achievable (in this case) by Government take-over of the failed and overly duplicated and wasteful job network NGO’s, restoring responsibility given them by the tax payer to the efficiencies of the pre “private provider” era so promoted by Howard that has proved itself unworkable and a failed example of economy
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 25 November 2010 1:36:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy