The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Carbon - the more you emit the greater the subsidy! > Comments

Carbon - the more you emit the greater the subsidy! : Comments

By Ged McCarthy, published 25/11/2010

Can Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott save solar from being a policy basket case?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Coal fired power does not have to be for home use, leave that for big business to solve.
With several options of supplying your own power there's no excuse to do nothing.
LED interior lighting for the home is becoming available.
Soft start refrigeration is only a matter of adding a component.
There are things you can do for yourself.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 25 November 2010 11:47:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
579, big businesses are not voters, demonising them is of no value at all. You'll find that people run and own big businesses, as well as small businesses. People vote, whether they run or work for a large business - last time I checked, governments didn't govern for this or that size business, they govern for Australians (or then there's the ALP who are in it for themselves, but I digress)

So what's the cutoff for you, when is a business big enough to solve their problems themselves? Keeping in mind they pay tax. So do they deserve consideration because they pay tax and employ people, or are you like geoff davies and just happy to demonize parts of our society?

Changing lights - not long ago we all had to switch to low power flouro lights, not it's LED, what next? Special frills on the edges? I'm ridiculing it because so many people bury their heads in the tiny details, while the big problems remain ignored. You can't just turn off the coal power plants, without a viable peak load replacement, which we do not have.

They are all mouse nuts in the scheme of things, the little solutions are nice to feel good, and then you can finger wag of course, that's a nice touch.

The big things are important and you cannot just dismiss business, that's what the country runs on, businesses - the public service, while huge, produces nothing.

But do carry on demonizing the very people and industries we cannot do without as a 1st world nation.
Posted by Amicus, Thursday, 25 November 2010 12:33:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What has voting got to do with carbon.
If you take households out of the equasion, business will have to follow or pay the cost of buying carbon power.
Tis easy to supply your self, it's not complicated.
You are reading to much into a simple problem.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 25 November 2010 1:07:23 PM
Geoff Davies - you have caught my attention. Where does the $1 billion subsidy for coal figure for NSW come from? Is that before or after the resources rent tax? Coal companies are big tax payers.. I'm intrigued
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 25 November 2010 1:19:16 PM
"What has voting got to do with carbon."

Only tax and government decision about resources, not to worry though, I'm sure if we all wish hard enough, the problem will just go away.

Let's not complicate it by including tax, voting, government representatives, government, laws, science or anything .. way too hard, just do your little bit and all will be well.

no wonder the greens have such a following, it's all so easy really, no idea why anyone even thinks there's a problem at all.

Gosh when you really look at it, it's all trivial!

/sarc
Posted by Amicus, Thursday, 25 November 2010 1:28:55 PM
Further on that, I just refreshed my memory with some of the debate follow labor abandoning its proposed resources super profits tax.. NSW charges a royalty on coal extracted.. Macarthur Coal estimated at the time that the state resource royalty plus Federal company tax put its overall tax rate at 45 per cent of profits..

I suspect that $1 billion figure is one of those interesting statistics that activists take out of thin air to "prove" their case..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 25 November 2010 1:30:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy