The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Politics binds US over climate > Comments

Politics binds US over climate : Comments

By Tom Switzer, published 12/11/2010

Winter came early for climate change in the US elections.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Meanwhile it even gets worse. Check out a reference re John Shimkus at Informed Consent. It is titles Energy Committee Chairman Candidate Says God Promised No More Catastrophic Climate Change After Noah.

Such is the "intelligence" that "informs" the no-nothing party.
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 12 November 2010 9:19:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The popularity of ignorant self-interest triumphs over policy based on the best available knowledge and long term security. Is the human race even capable of doing otherwise when the voices of reason are drowned out by the cacophony of deluded deniers of science based knowledge? As the economic impacts of changing climate hit with ever increasing power, the will to invest in a low carbon future is going to clash ever more strongly with the belief that wasteful extravagance is an inalienable right.

Australia is not any better than the US despite a majority of sitting members in Federal parliament believing anthropogenic climate change is real - party allegiances and populism prevent bipartisan policy and the short term self interest in continuing to expand the extraction and export of fossil fuels undermines even the limited efforts to act with the future in mind. One only has to listen to the fanfare over new gas projects or the spruiking of QR and coal exports to know that any policy will be deliberately ineffectual. And the failure of watered down policy will simply be turned into ammunition against any serious policy as if being ineffective were the intent of those urging serious action. Are we really that shortsighted? Oh,yes and exceedingly proud of it!
Posted by Ken Fabos, Friday, 12 November 2010 2:56:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ken Fabos - congratualtions, you have grasped the reality that there is no possibility at all of reigning in industrial emissions. Even if there had been any real agreement on either the science or the projections, the cuts required are simply too large. We would have to shift entirely to nuclear to have a ghost of a chance

Fortunately, none of the projections are working out as per the IPCC reports. Methane concentrations in the atmosphere stabilised around the turn of the century, CO2 concentrations are below mid-point and global temperatues have barely shifted in more than a decade.

Just as well..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Friday, 12 November 2010 4:18:13 PM
Well, we can certainly hope it’s no better for the con men, in white coats than was Copenhagen.

That, with the continually growing mountain of evidence that the global warming con was just that, should finally silence the tiresome Ken Fabos's of this world, along with his fellow travellers.

I really am getting tired of continually being made aware of just how dumb, stupid, or nefarious our academics have become, as they burst into print, time & again with the same falsehoods, long disproven, in support of their con men compatriots.

Please let it end soon, preferable with a bunch of crooks paying for their sins.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 12 November 2010 7:50:18 PM
Dear Ho Hum,
This battle is as old as time itself. "Did God really say" As you and I weren't there we have to take someones word for it and it all boils down to who do you trust, the men who like to gamble with the future, or the men who believe in random chance, evolution, or those who believe in intelligent design, a creator. I personally do not like to gamble with my children's future so I have taught them to seek the truth, question with boldness and never have blind faith. Faith is not blind for it is the substance of what you hope for. If Intelligent Design is nonsense to you that is ok by me for it is an individual choice and we are free to chose. Bye the bye what the bible does say is that God would never destroy all the people on the planet with a world flood again. As word meanings change with the passing of time it is very unwise to believe the modern meaning to base your life on. In my lifetime the use and meaning of the word gay has gone from meaning happiness to sexual preference. Again "Did God really say".
Posted by Richie 10, Saturday, 13 November 2010 4:06:02 AM
I (Al Gore)and my many notable investors will now probably LOSE millions because my pet plan for Cap and TRADE will not go ahead.

I'm wringing my hands now at the demise of the Chicago Climate Exchange which promised TEN TRILLION dollars profit annully once Cap and TRADE was made law and all companies would be forced to comply.

All of my HEDGE FUND investors will be after my ass now (my life) because they have invested very HEAVILY in my funds on the promise of Cap and TRADE coming in with Obama and my Democratic Connections.

I think the reason these laws failed is that they actually saw through my scheme to make megabucks.. tragic... sad.. I feel lonely and abandoned... and soon will change my name to

ALGOREisNOT-rich_anymore.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Saturday, 13 November 2010 6:34:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is increasingly obvious that industry spin doctors and their useful idiots have rendered Western democracies incapable of taking the actions that are necessary if we are to have any chance at all of ameliorating the industrial practices that cause AGW. When the effects of AGW become undeniable even to the climate delusionists, it will probably be too late.

No, I'm not proposing any kind of dictatorship. However, it is a tragedy of unprecedented proportions that capitalism has created such an appalling global problem, but is completely incapable of addresssing it even where the political will is strong.

While the climate delusionists are crowing and congratulating themselves for the moment, their grandchildren very probably won't be. What a dumb system we live under.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 13 November 2010 8:33:28 AM
Am I right in thinking that it was the US EPA that declared carbon “a pollutant”? And that following Climategate, 16 “litigation Hold Notices” were served on the EPA, including one from the State of Texas? This seems to imply that any legislation passed by the US government that costs or disadvantages anyone at all in the US, may require the EPA to substantiate their “carbon pollution” decision in the US courts.

I suspect that the EPA will never be used to override congress because they will have to substantiate their position in court. Can they? Will they? If not why not?
Posted by spindoc, Saturday, 13 November 2010 9:05:30 AM
"Get ready for Cancun to be another Copenhagen."

You mean that Mexican airports will be snowbound? I know it's been cold there but I wasn't expecting that.
Posted by Jon J, Saturday, 13 November 2010 5:26:27 PM
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by runner, Saturday, 13 November 2010 5:43:48 PM
cj I don't know how you can say that, in Australia the ABC never mentions skepticism, they constantly have alarmists on. There is only one or two web sites in all Australia that regularly question the AGW belief.

There is no debate, there is no funding, there are constant AGW drumbeat conferences that NEVER have a skeptic. You can never hear skeptical voices, you have the occasional piece which is usually obscure, then you have the ABC deafening us with their overwhelming response .. the Trioli idiot whorl indeed.

You have alarmists like Tim Flannery who is everywhere constantly being asked to comment, the greens get as much airplay as they want on AGW, as do GetUp and authors writing hysterical end of the world books.

The ABC, BOM, CSIRO, every university in Australia is AGW oriented.

yet you say the exact opposite, why is that?

When AGW is mentioned it is not in the terms you say "ameliorating the industrial practices that cause AGW" it's always about the evil of CO2 and carbon taxes.

maybe the message is lost because of the hysteria about CO2, people simply nod and smile, because the idiots (AGW) are raving again, then they shake their heads and walk away thinking, they have no idea .. they are not convinced cj.

If the scientists were to talk about all the practices that cause AGW, then sure, we might have a conversation - but instead it's been decided by the UN IPCC to treat us all like idiots and rant about CO2.

You get the effect you have now, for trying to spin BS to the masses, for assuming everyone is stupid, that people could easily be frightened and all you had to do was beat up CO2, and it hasn't worked.

In Australia, skeptics have lost the battle and will see a carbon tax, zero effect on land clearing, on all the things that do matter, and it will all be p*ssed away trying to stop the temperature by taxing people.

"What a dumb system we live under." indeed
Posted by rpg, Saturday, 13 November 2010 10:35:30 PM
cj, again "While the climate delusionists are crowing and congratulating themselves for the moment,"

Where do they do that?

I suggest you might be deluded if that's what you think.
Posted by rpg, Saturday, 13 November 2010 10:36:21 PM
CJ.Morgan. said...

"capitalism has created such an appalling global problem,"

Oh Thank god! I thought I was the only one seeing it:)

Maybe Iam wrong. Maybe it will be all fine.....yeah right.

Blue
Posted by Deep-Blue, Sunday, 14 November 2010 1:27:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy